Monday, July 8, 2019

The Borrowed Parts

All day long
They come in
And out

And all of them
Belong
To someone else

I met a woman at the ice machine
And I could tell
From how she was looking at me
That she had her own
Stolen property
Back in her room

I can spot ‘em now

The ones who borrow
And the ones who own

At the supermarket
They cut me in line
And I just laugh
Because if that’s what you gotta do
And if that’s all you can do
To prove you’re somebody
Well then--

Good for you, honey
You put that flat ass of yours
Right in front of me
And you see if I care
Because I won’t

Every so often
When I’m really in the dumps
I do what I did this afternoon

Hollered out
To all my borrowed friends
And say--

Hello gentlemen
This room number
This motel
From this time to this time
See you then

And they show up
One at a time
Or a few at a time
And sometimes they know each other
And sometimes one gets nervous
And ducks out
Before anything good happens
And nothing that happens
Surprises me
At all

Not at all

I kind of have to bury myself
In my problems sometimes
Because if I just float in ‘em
It’s not enough
To keep me
From cracking up
You know what I mean?

Every kind of car
Goes by the windows
And I think about time
Slowing to a stop
So I can just live in slow motion
And never have to try
To be something else

The faces aren’t the same
Like you’d think they’d be

That’s the part
That always
Takes me
By surprise

One’s got a nose
Like Captain Hook
And another smells
Like bread
And Budweiser

Two other ones
Have the softest skin
And one keeps asking me--

Are you okay?
How about now?
Are you okay now?

And I just keep saying--

Yes

But who the hell knows
If they’re okay or not

Is anybody okay?

You okay?

No, really--

You okay?

When it’s all over with
I go home to my husband
In my pretty pretty pink house
On top of the highest hill
You ever saw in your life

‘Cause see
I’m borrowed too

Even to myself
I’m only on loan

A part of got loaned out
Years ago
And I just--

Ha

I never got it back, I guess

Nobody saw fit
To return it

But every time
I lock myself in a room
And give more of myself away
I keep thinking

This is how
I get it back

By giving away so much
The only thing left is nothing

And that’s something
That feels like mine

Nothing
Feels like
It belongs only

To me

No comments:

Post a Comment