Sunday, July 14, 2019

All The Things You Have

I’m sitting here
On a dirty blanket
Looking at a stained ceiling
Black mold in the walls
A crack running
Right down the center
Of a television
That only gets
Two channels

And you want me to go
To this cookout
With your wife
And you framily
And your kids
And all the things
You have

And be happy

Happy for you

You don’t ask
Where I’m staying
When I’m in town

How I’m paying my bills
How I’m making rent
If I have rent
If I have--

Somewhere to go
At night
When the heat goes down
But the humidity stays up

You know

You what this time of year
Does to me
And you don’t care
Because you got your pool
And your grille
And your nice backyard
With all that room
For running dogs
And kids playing catch
With their dad

And I’m your keeper

Or you’re mine

You’re gonna offer me a beer
And I’m still going to taste it
In my mouth
Hours later
When I’m trying to figure out
How to watch a television
With a crack down the middle

And how I’m going to pay for this room
After tonight

But you don’t care about that

You don’t know
What happens to me
In between the cookouts
And the birthday parties

Where I go to
When the weather gets cold
And I can finally breathe
Because it doesn’t feel
Like fire
Going down my throat

You don’t ask me questions
About all that
When you’re--

No

No, no

You ask me
How I want my burger

You ask me
How things are going
With whoever it is
I told you I was seeing
The last time we talked

I just--

They’re names
They’re just made up names
And they don’t mean
Anything

And you don’t remember
A damn thing about me
But you remember
Those names
Those fake names
That I gave you
So you would think
I wasn’t alone

But I…

But I am

I’m alone

I’m all alone

And you are…

You are covered
In this thing
That I’m sure
To you
Looks like
Success

But…

Well

It’s more than I have

That’s true
That’s very true

But see whereas you
You
I can
I can
I can take from you
If I wanted to

I could…

I could take it
All away
All the--

All those things

I could

And me

Me sitting here
On this dirty blanket
You--

Do you see that--

That you can’t take nothing
From me

You--

You can’t

You can’t--

Because there’s nothing

There’s nothing
To take

So

So…

So

That’s something
Isn’t it?

Isn’t that

Something?

No comments:

Post a Comment