Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A Bigger Mess

You’re going to stand there
And ask me
Why I didn’t come out
And stand up
For your mess?


Because it was a mess


And me standing next to you
Doesn’t clean up the mess
It makes me a part of the mess


Or don’t you get that?

I love you
You’re my friend
But no, I didn’t want
To hop down into a mess
That was not of my own making


Do you--


Do you have any idea
How many messes I’ve been in
Over the years
That I didn’t drag you into?


That I cleaned up on my own
With no help from anybody
Because it was my mess?


You know--


Listen

Listen carefully
To what I’m about to say
Because it is crucial
That you don’t hear this wrong


Why is it
That when we find ourselves
In a mess
We tell our families
Our spouses
Our kids


Stay out of it
Don’t get involved


But then
We turn to our friends
The people adjacent to--

Not above

The most important people
In our lives
And we say to them--


Get into it for me
Get involved


Why is that?


Why should I go to bat for you
But your wife sits right where she is
And doesn’t say a thing
On your behalf?


Why do you want to protect her
But you get me in your mess


You don’t want her in your mess
You don’t want your kids in your--


I’m just saying
I get it


Believe me
I get it


But listen to what I’m asking you

Listen to what I think
Your expectations are
Of me
As opposed to what you expect
From the person you got
To stand next to you
On an altar
Saying ‘Til death’ and everything else


That’s all I’m asking


You don’t sleep next to me at night
But you want me
In the mess
With you


And would a friend have done it?


Maybe


So maybe I’m not your friend
Or maybe I’m not
A very good friend
Or any kind of friend


But you could have put
Twenty people
In the middle of that mess
And all you would have had
Was a twenty-person mess
And that’s the truth


That’s the truth of the matter
And the truth about the mess


I get why you wanted someone
In it with you


I’ve wanted the same damn thing
Many times
Many times


But I never thought
It would do one thing
For the mess


The mess?


The mess was on me


See, that’s what you need to understand


The mess is on me


And everybody who shows up to help?

They’re just helping the mess

They’re just helping to make
An even bigger
Mess

No comments:

Post a Comment