Monday, February 11, 2019

The Weight I Lost For You

I think, sometimes
You know
About the weight


About the weight
I lost for you


I--people don’t know, you know?

People don’t know about--


Like, what that’s like
To do that to yourself


And not--


And not that I’m not happy
That I lost the weight
But I--


I have to be frank about the fact that
I didn’t lose that weight for me


I lost it for you


I lost it for someone else
And so now
Whether it’s an accomplishment or not
It’s this thing
That happened
As the result of somebody
For somebody
Because of somebody
Instead of because
You know
It’s something you wanted to do


So I catch, uh
I catch a glimpse of myself
In a mirror
In the bathroom mirror
And I’m impressed with myself
For like
Half a second
Before I think about the fact
That I did this thing
The hardest thing I’ve ever done
And, uh…


And when it was done
You still left


You--


Fuck, I don’t even want to--


I don’t even want to talk about this, but--


You left me
For someone
Who weighs twenty pounds more
Than I weighed
At my heaviest
When you first met me


So--


So why didn’t you say
When I started to lose the weight--


Because I could tell
I could tell
You weren’t happy


--Why didn’t you say--


Hey, don’t bother with that
Don’t bother doing that
Because, uh, it’s not about the weight
It’s got nothing to do with your weight


Why didn’t you say that to me
So I didn’t--


I can’t say I was happy with myself
At that weight, but, uh--


I wasn’t--


It wasn’t this big issue for me


But I saw that you were unhappy
And I thought
I thought
It was about my weight


And I changed my life
I changed everything
To lose the weight
And keep you


And…


And one day I came home
All excited
Because, uh, because I had done a weigh-in
At my sister’s house
And I was at this--


My goal weight
I had hit my goal weight
And I came home


And you were gone


Just…


You’re not supposed to go
From being that happy
To that devastated
All at once, you know?


It’s a shock to the system
It’s, uh, it’s really something awful
I gotta tell you


Your mind…


It doesn’t know what to do


It doesn’t know how to handle
All that happiness
And all that heartbreak
All at once


I just lost it


I just lost it all


Not just you
Not just the weight
But…


So much more


So much more
Than that

No comments:

Post a Comment