Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Name Your Circus

You want the clown car
But not the clowns


You like the compact size
The condensed edition
The roomy surprise


But you don’t want the clowns
And I’m sitting on the tightrope
Smoking my gateway
Saying--


Name your circus


Take what you want
It’s a la carte


It’s what you want


You want one ring
Two rings
Three rings, no fingers?


This is the trope
You dope


This is the last little opening
You found in the wall
That’s blocking your creativity


You want the sideshow
But not the freaks?


Don’t you know
You can’t call them
Freaks
Anymore


Me though?


You can call me
Whatever you want


I’m just sitting here
On my tightrope
Trying to make sure
I land in the net


Want to talk to the guy
In the cannon?

Want to light the fuse?


Want to paint your face
And tame a lion
And ride a camel?


Name your circus


Tell me what show
You want to watch


By the way
You can’t tame a lion


You can make an agreement with a lion
That they’ll do this
And you’ll do that
And one day
The agreement might run out
But you won’t know it
Until your head
Is in its mouth


Sounds like a metaphor to me


But that’s just me


You like the sawdust?
You like the tent?
You like the train
Heading to the next town
And the next town
And the next town?


What about this
Is appealing to you?


Do you like the anxiety
Of watching a man ride a motorcycle
With a blindfold on?


Do you like the rush
Of the shake
That shapes the body
Of the man on the rope?


Do you like the popcorn
And the cotton candy
And the eight dollar hot dogs
And the indentured animals
Wearing glitter and spark?


Tell me
Tell me


Name your circus


Explore the world
Flesh it out
Find the realm
That suits you
And lean, lean, lean
All the way into it


That’s how we get where we’re going
That’s how we put on a show


And not just any show
But the Greatest Show, right?


The Greatest Show
We want to watch
But don’t want to
Get into


Can’t get into
Any of this


Everyone loves a circus
But only if they get
To watch
And only

--Watch

No comments:

Post a Comment