Friday, February 22, 2019

And I Wish He Didn't Look Like You

This kid’s got the longest hair
No idea
No idea where he gets it

But it grows so fast
We can’t cut it
Quick enough

No more barbers either
No more trips to the barber

I just do it myself
Because who has that money
Every two weeks to spend
On a barber

Your dad says
Your hair never grew like that
Mine doesn’t either so--

Must be one of those recessive genes
Or something

I joke sometimes
When stuff like that comes up

Stuff about him
That’s not you
And not me

I joke, but--

Then I look at him
And he’s like your little twin

I was thinking--

I was thinking the other night
About how weird it’s going to be
When he gets to be fifteen
Because

Because that’s when I met you
And I was thinking, you know
If he’s still your little spitting image
When he turns fifteen
What’s that going to be like
For me?

I don’t think about back then
I don’t...

Makes me think of you
And my brother
And all the stuff I had
That I don’t have
Anymore

I’m not too bad about--

I’ve been taking these classes
These gratitude classes
Reading books
About

You know
Looking at what you have
And just being happy with that

But it’s hard to do it
If you remember
What you lost

So I try not to think about all that
And just keep my eye on what’s left
And most of that’s the kid
You know?

And I think I’m doing an okay job
He’s a good kid
Doesn’t get into trouble
He’s got a big mouth
Like you
And getting him to take a shower is--

That’s just being a kid, I guess

But I wanted you to know
He’s doing good
And that he’s being, you know
Well-taken care of

I just wish he was better at math
Because I’m trying to help him
With his homework
And I think he’s probably going to fail
Because of me

And, uh--

And I wish he didn’t look
So much like you

Which is terrible
It’s terrible to say

Because this woman in my support group
She’s always talking about how happy she is
That her daughter looks like the dad
Because it’s this nice reminder for her
And, uh, I don’t know
I guess she likes having a reminder
But--

I don’t really

And I don’t mean that
To hurt you, you know

If you can be hurt

Probably where you are
There is no hurt

But I can still hurt here
And I do
I hurt a lot

I look at him
And there you are

Poor kid doesn’t know
Why Mom can’t look at him
Without crying sometimes

And I can’t even tell him

I just say I’m sad
And I don’t say about what

And he doesn’t ask

Kid’s smart

Smart enough
Not to ask

No comments:

Post a Comment