Thursday, February 21, 2019

Knee-High Weeds

Doesn’t care
If her garden
Has knee-high weeds

So that must means
That her boy
Came home

Wasn’t sure
Wasn’t sure because the mailman
The mailman would step back
In front of her house
With nothing to give

And she’d be behind blinds
Waiting to see
Who’s coming up
Who’s coming up
Who’s coming up the stairs today

Never left
Never went out
No idea how she got food
How she ate

I went by
With blueberry pie
And tried to pry her out
But she wouldn’t answer the door
And the bell was disconnected

I called out to her
Telling her about
The knee-high weeds
But nothing doing

Wind went through my hair
And that’s how I knew
It was time to move on
To the next house
With no lights on
And see about the girl in there

I go from house to house
And see which lawn
Isn’t being tended to

If the lawn’s gone
The person inside
Usually is too

I put up a sign on the lawn
That says—

‘Move Along’

Because people love
To stop and stare
And give out business
That’s not theirs

I’d rather offer a hand
But I can’t mow a lawn
Because of my allergies
So instead I just knock on the door
And wait
But nobody ever comes out

Can’t say I blame them these days
With all the crazies running around

But it feels good to try
And no point sitting at home
Watching the news
Shaking your head at things
You can go out and change

Or try to change
Or try to
To, uh

Well

I go walking up and down the street
Looking in windows
Peeking in mailboxes
Trying to see if there are signs of life
Or if it’s just an empty house
Somebody forgot to put a ‘For Sale’ sign
In front of

I cover about six blocks a day
On a good day
Before the rain starts
And then you gotta take cover
Because that stuff’ll melt the face
Right off you

Always nice though
When you see lights on
In a house
That used to be dark

Walked by her house
And I could hear her laughing
And I saw the car parked out front
So I knew that her guy was back
Probably hugging her
Loving up on her
Making her happy again

That’s not how it works out
For most of them
So when it does go that way
It’s nice

I went up to the front door
And knocked
So I could say how happy I was
For them
Even though I don’t know them
But nobody answered the door
And I thought I even heard someone say
To get the hell away or something
But that’s okay

They’re probably busy
With their celebrating

Can’t be mad about that

All kinds of things
To be mad about in the world
So why be mad
About that

They’ll have their little party
And I’ll catch them
Some other time

And maybe between now and then
They’ll get a chance
To mow their lawn

No comments:

Post a Comment