Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Play Ain't I Good to You

I walk in
And he starts playing
Ain’t I Good to You?

You trying to be funny, Bobby?
You think that’s funny?


I’m not mad at you, baby
Don’t worry


Nobody’s mad at you


Just noticing things
That’s all


I like that song, you know
I like it a lot


It’s no As Time Goes By
But it makes me smile all the same


Not like there’s lots of songs out there
That can make a girl smile


Not even me
And I’m a pretty happy girl
Most of the time


Just feel like
When I lived back east
I always had somewhere to go
And someone to light my cigarettes for me


Here nobody smokes
And anytime you get somewhere
You find out nobody’s there waiting for you


Bobby’s the one that came by
And put in a tv for me
So I’d have something
To keep me company


Told me I should get a cat
I said, ‘Bobby, a cat can take care of itself
That’s why it doesn’t appeal to me'


If it can take care of itself
What does it need me for?


Even a television
Needs you to turn it on


And I’m good at that


You should hear my friend Maureen
Sing this song


She could sing it--

Jesus

It would melt you
That’s how good it was


She’s been gone a few years
Car accident
Just a dumb old
Red-light runner
And now this song is--


Bobby plays it
And I ask him
Who the hell’s supposed to sing it?


Not me


I don’t like singing
A dead woman’s song


Doesn’t matter if she’s dead
The song’s still hers


But it does make me smile


I liked Mauren
But if I’m being honest
I didn’t think too much about her
When she was alive


Now that she’s dead
I think about her all the time


Wish I knew she was going to die

I might have thought about her more
When I had the chance to come here
And get a seat in front


Listen to her sing


Somebody should have recorded her singing it

It’s a sin that they didn’t
It’s a real sin


Funny they call it the City of Angels
When everybody knows
It’s a City of Sinners


The sun comes up
And you see people scurrying back
To their little hillside holes


Like vampires, but--


Not as sexy
Not as interesting


Just people
Who can’t take
Seeing things
In the light


Just people
Who don’t like
The sun


And that’s too bad
You know?


Because out here


All we got
Is sun

No comments:

Post a Comment