Friday, February 15, 2019

The Quiet Politician

I liked him because he didn’t talk, and uh--


I realize
I realize that’s no reason
To elect someone, but--


But he would just stand up there
On that podium
Not talking


Not saying a thing


And I just found it so--refreshing


All these other politicians
Talk and talk and talk


And, you know, after awhile
It just becomes so monotonous
And it’s--it’s--


It’s talking points
And, ugh, who the hell
Wants to listen to just--


Endless talking points?


I liked the silence
The silence was nice


He seemed so nice


Just standing there
Smiling
Not moving


People would yell things at him
He would just sort of nod?

Maybe?


Or maybe I imagined him nodding?


I don’t know


It was so easy to, you know
Project things onto him


Some people didn’t like it
They wanted to hear him talk

About policies
And plans
And what he was going to do
About this or that


But anything he said
Was going to be a lie
Or an empty promise, right?


So why not just be happy
That he’s not saying anything at all?


There seemed to be
Some kind of, you know
Honor in that


He’d stand there
And we’d stand--


You know, at the rallies
We’d go to the rallies
And stand there


And it would just be quiet


And the quiet was so...nice


Just all these people
Standing
Not doing anything


You know how much noise there is
In politics?


Is it any wonder
That the guy who won in a landslide
Gave us some peace and quiet?


Maybe not a better economy
Maybe not a better educational system
Maybe not unity and prosperity, but--


Quiet


At these rallies
Eventually
Someone would come and get him
And just, uh, help him offstage


But the rest of us would stand there

Some people would stand there for hours
After he’d left


One time
I was standing there
And the person next to me
Started to cry


For no reason

--At least none that I knew of


And I took his hand
And I started to cry too

And then a bunch of us
We all took
Each other’s hands...


And we stood there
And nobody said anything


And that--


That seemed okay


That seemed like
Enough


So when they ask me
How he could get elected
When he didn’t even say anything
I want to say--


Because what he gave us
Was enough


We had all just had
Enough

No comments:

Post a Comment