Sunday, February 3, 2019

I Don't Make the Rules

Jeremy, the sign says
No going down the slide


Mommy doesn’t know why
Mommy doesn’t make the rules


I don’t make the rules


I don’t make the rules, Jeremy
And sometimes
Like right now
I can’t even explain the rules


Maybe something’s wrong with the slide


Yes, it does look fine
I’ll admit that


It looks like a fine slide
Some might even say
A perfect slide


And I can see why
That would make it extra difficult
To not go down it
But nevertheless
There’s a sign


And the sign has a rule on it
And so we’re going to follow the rules
Because that’s who we are


You are not being raised
By one of those inspirational parents
They make movies about


Unfortunately for you
You are being raised
By someone
Who notices signs


Who notices them
And reads them
And does what they say


I follow the rules
And so you follow the rules
And that means no slide


Now, there is a chance
A very good chance
That while you’re playing on everything
But the slide


Some other child
Raised by someone who doesn’t follow rules
Or read signs
Will let their child go on the slide
Annnnnd nothing will happen


And you’ll look at me
Very confused
Very unsure
Of why your parent
Prevented you from doing something
You would have enjoyed
Telling you there was danger
When there was no danger


And what you have to understand is--


Danger is a crapshoot
And by that I mean
Sometimes things that are dangerous
Don’t end up being dangerous


But when you’re unlucky--


And this is my first time letting you in
On this little secret but--


Everyone in our family
Is profoundly unlucky


--When you’re us the dangerous thing is always dangerous


And that’s why
I can’t let you go down the slide


And that’s why
You might watch
A thousand other children
Go down the slide
With no consequences
But you will not be
One of those children


And I’m sorry for that


But those are the rules


The rule on the sign
The rule of being my child
The rule of the Universe
When you’re unlucky
And being raised
By someone
Who’s afraid of everything
But who is, especially,
Afraid of not following the rules


If I have my way
You are never going to walk
When it says ‘Don’t Walk’


You’re never going to cheat
You’re never going to lie
You’re never going to get in trouble
And that means
You’re going to live forever


Or at least
Forever as far as I’m concerned


And that’s my job
To make sure that happens


Do whatever it takes
To keep the most precious thing
In my life
Safe


That’s my only rule
It’s the only rule
I live by


And sometimes that means
Following rules
That stop the only thing I love
From having fun
Or taking risks
Or being brave


And that sucks
But the rules are the rule


And I don’t make the rules


But I wish I did, kiddo


Believe me--

I wish I did

No comments:

Post a Comment