Sunday, February 10, 2019

Movies I Keep Meaning to Watch

I keep meaning to watch
Casablanca


But, uh, I just--


I just never get around to it


I have--


I have this list of movies
I keep meaning to watch, but--


But I put one on
And I can’t do it


I turn it off


It’s too much


The idea of starting a movie
Knowing
There are seventy other movies
I’m not watching
That I--


That I’ll probably never get around
To watching


So I turn off the movie
And I put on something stupid


Something I can fall asleep to


Because I don’t know how to start
And that’s the problem


That’s what I can’t seem
To get over


The fact that I can’t start anything
Without thinking about
The million other things
I started and never finished
Or the two million things
I’m never going to start at all


I keep getting hung up
On the things I”m not doing
So I don’t do anything at all


My mom, she used to--

She used to get dressed
And just sit
And wait
And the guys--


The guys would come
To take her on dates
Because she was--

My mom was beautiful


But she’d sit on the bed
And let them sit in their cars
And she wouldn’t go anywhere


They’d eventually drive away
Or I’d have to go out and tell them
That my mom wasn’t coming out


I’d apologize
But I couldn’t explain it


I couldn’t explain
Why she was
The way she was


And I always--


I hoped I’d be able to explain it
When it was me sitting there
With somebody waiting on me


But I can’t


I can’t explain anything


Not about me
Not about my mother


Not about why I have stacks and stacks of books I won’t read
And shopping lists of things I won’t buy
And recipes for meals I’ll never make


But I keep buying the books
And making the lists
And taking photos of the recipes


I keep planning to be somebody
And all I have for it
Are plans


But a movie?


I should be able to watch
A stupid movie
Without having to make, uh…


Without having to make
So much of it


I should be able
To do one thing
Without it being something
Other than the--the--the--


The thing you’re doing


I should be able
To relax


But just--


Just thinking about that
Just thinking about relaxing


It’s too much


It’s just…

It’s all too much

No comments:

Post a Comment