Saturday, February 23, 2019

Eight People in a Supermarket

I walk into a store
And there could be eight people in that store

One of them got there--

Let’s say this is a supermarket, okay?
It’s a supermarket

So one of them got there
--One of the eight
Got there thirty minutes ago
Really taking her time
Enjoying her, uh, time
At the market

The second one got there
Ten minutes ago
Maybe in a bit of a rush
But not really

The third person got there
Eight minutes ago
But has nothing to do
For the rest of the day
And really likes food shopping
But, like, isn’t going to space it out
Just for the hell of it

And let’s say I’m in there
Let’s say those three people are in there first
And then I’m in there
For about twenty minutes
And during that twenty minutes
The other five people come in
At varying times

And that’ll get us to eight
Even though that wasn’t what I originally--

I was going in a different direction
But that would take too long
So let’s just go with this instead

Eight people in the market
Three there before me at varying times
Five after me at varying times
And me

And one cashier
Only one
Just one

Okay?

Got it?

Now

I can promise you

Promise you

That when I am ready to check out
And go to that one cashier
Every other person in that market
Will also decide
To check out

All of them
Heading--at quite a clip
No matter how much
They might or might not
Like being at the market

They will race to that cashier

And most, if not all of them,
Will beat me there

And that’s how I know
There’s no god

That, in fact,
Is how I know
That there is
Whatever the opposite
Of god is
Floating around
In the Universe

Because no matter what happens
I wind up being in a store with eight people
Who all decide
Almost conspiratorially
To make my day
As shitty as possible

And that happens ALL the time

In traffic
At the mall
Entering and exiting
Literally
Any building

People seem determined
To slow me down
At all costs

And it is infuriating

And I guess people
Happy people
Probably don’t notice it?
They just sort of wind up
Getting everywhere later
Than they would like
And chalk it up to
The way of the world

But I--me
I know what’s going on

I know that it’s an anti-god
Conspiring against me

And that’s why I don’t see any point engaging

That’s why I don’t see any reason
To be a part of the world

Because the world just wants
To make me late
And hold me up
And hold me back

And I need is milk
And Oreos

That’s it

Why does that have to be
So hard

No comments:

Post a Comment