Saturday, February 2, 2019

Peter at the Window

Hello Peter
No, there’s no mistake
The window is locked
I put a lock on it last week
In preparation for your—
Well, let’s call it a visit
Peter, I regret to inform you
That your generational field trip
To Neverland
Will not be happening this time around

For one thing, my daughter is terrified of flying
Put her on a plane
And she throws up everywhere

It’s one thing on a plane
Where they give you those little paper bags
But if she were just soaring through the air
With no bag in front of her
London would wake up tomorrow
Covered in my daughter’s vomit

In addition to...that
I just don’t see this trip
As being all that…wise

Peter, you’re a nice boy
Nobody’s saying you aren’t

Well the police might
But they're limited in their imagination
But the fact is
You can’t just spirit young girls away
To a quote-unquote--
Magical Land

Expose them to pirates and crocodiles
And then send them back home
Where they’re expected to do mundane things
Like schoolwork and origami
That’s our Craft of the Week by the way
Although Emily isn’t very adept at precision
So I suspect her swan will turn out
To be more of a deformed squirrel
All these reasons and more
Are why I can’t let you
Take off with her into the night
That, and, you know,
She’s a twelve-year-old girl
And these excursions of yours
Usually involve kidnapping
And wild orphans
It just wouldn’t be reasonable of me
As a mother and legal guardian
To allow that sort of thing
Even if it is a family tradition
Why, when you took me with you,
I had to explain to that tribe of Natives
That their outfits
Were perpetuating stereotypes
And they made me their goddess
And covered me in mermaid blood
I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy it
But it’s simply no way for a young girl
To spend a Saturday evening!
And your insistence
That anyone over the age of fifteen
Is unable to fly with you
Is, quite frankly, extremely unsettling
You may look young, Peter
But we both long you’re as long in the tooth
As they come
And rescuing pre-teens from men with hooks
Is not an appropriate activity
For someone who’s been around the block
As long as you have
The window stays locked
The shades stay drawn
And my daughter will never know anything
About lost shadows
Or how to revive a sprite

I won’t lie and say I don’t have reservations
About all this
But times change, Pete
Even if lost boys don’t
The girls you take from this room
Aren’t identical

They each live in their own time
And evolve as that time passes
The experience my great-great-great grandmother had
Isn’t going to be the same one
That my daughter would have
Or the one her daughter would have
You’re used to taking brave souls
Who live in a world
Where women are taught
How to conceal their strength
Behind seeming vulnerability
They went along with anything back then

Even flying boys
Who wanted to send them straight on to till morning
Into god-knows-what

Today we’re more aware of our choices
Even if we still have trouble making them

And that’s where I come in
I’m making a choice
Not just to sing a lullaby to my daughter
And leave her protected by nothing
But a dog with a kerchief
But to actively mother her

To sit by her window
And wait to make sure
Nothing gets in
It’s possible I’ll keep out the good stuff
With the bad
But sometimes that’s the risk you take
My daughter can’t have the childhood I did
And I suppose there might be something wrong in that

But when I was flying with you, Peter
There were so many things
I didn’t know
That I didn’t think of
That I didn’t think to think of
The idea that we were up there
Suspended only by our own happy thoughts—
Children just aren’t as happy
As they once were, Peter
I simply don’t believe
There’s enough happiness
To keep them
Aflight

No comments:

Post a Comment