Monday, February 25, 2019

Junk Food and Lottery Tickets

Spends all her money
On junk food
And lottery tickets


But what’s your business
And what’s not?

That's what you always have to ask yourself
As a mother

What's my business? Junk food isn't my business
And neither is gambling, so...

I told her
You do what you want

Not like she asks to borrow
Not like she asks for a loan

The other kids do--

Sam, Toby

Everybody wants a hand-out

But not Marissa

Marissa never asks

Never asks for a thing

I go over her house
And there she is
With the pretzel bags
And no job

I ask her how she even--

How she even affords
The pretzels, you know?

It’s not like junk food is cheap
Just ‘cause it’s junk

She tells me ‘Don’t worry about it’
So I don’t

Because I do what I’m told
Even when it’s my kids
Telling me to do it

God knows I never got all my stuff
In ways people would want to know about
So who am I to judge

And since I can’t judge
I don’t ask

That’s how that works

Every once in awhile
I’ll go over there
And she’ll hand me a lottery ticket
And say--

Hey Mom, this one’s a winner

And I take it
And cash it for her
And she lets me keep
Twenty or thirty of it

Marissa is lucky
I’ll give her that

Never had anybody lucky in the family
Until her

So maybe she’s living on luck
Luck and pretzels

And that soda she likes
That they only sell
At the one store

I buy a pack
And bring it to her
That’s my how I get to see her
Because she won’t invite me over

Not because she doesn’t like me
But because she isolates herself
And forgets that people are something you need
In your life

Not necessarily family
But people

Usually when I get there
Somebody I don’t know
Is walking out the door

Who’s that, Marissa?
Don’t worry about it

Okay, so I don’t

I can’t worry about stuff
People tell me
Not to worry about

The stuff I do need
To worry about
Has enough of my mind locked up

Sam, Toby--gotta worry about them
But I don't have to tell you that

And I think the reason I don’t worry about Marissa
Is because I get the feeling
That something’s going to happen to her someday
And when it does
Nobody and nothing’s going to stop it

Not me worrying
And not me checking in on her
And not me bugging her
Because she’s living off Doritos
And cross-checking lottery tickets for hours
Seeing if she’s hit the big one
So she can finally get a leg up
And a foot out the door

Girl’s only got a little bit of time
Before whatever’s gonna happen happens

And nobody knows what it is
Except maybe Marissa

I look at her
And I think

That girl knows how it’s all
Going to end

No comments:

Post a Comment