Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Take a Sunday Flight

Take a Sunday flight
You’ll feel better


You want to get home on a Sunday night
You don’t want to get back
On a Monday morning


Everybody does that


Everybody stays that extra day
And comes home Monday morning
Then they’re back to their regular lives
In the middle of a Monday
Work the next day
Maybe they should get this done
Maybe they should send out some e-mails


That’s when you hear them say--


I need a vacation after my vacation


And it’s a cute thing to say
But they mean it


They really do


I always made it a point
To come home on a Sunday
And THEN take the Monday off


Kind of a luxury I guess
Well this is all luxury, right?
What we’re talking about?


But I’d come home on a Sunday night
And it made a big difference
I’ll tell you


Not rushing back into the week
Not trying to dive right back into
All the mess of it


Feeling like I needed
To pay for the relaxation
And rest
I just enjoyed


Now, don’t get me wrong
I wouldn’t go home


My plane would land
And I’d get a little room
In a hotel
Next to the airport


Because I just couldn’t take my kids
Jumping all over me
My wife bitching about something
The house a disaster area
I just--


I just couldn’t
Go away for a week
And then come back to
All that


Honestly I would have turned around
And walked out the door
All over again


So I started taking a Sunday flight in
And going home
To my home home I mean
On the Monday
Like I had just gotten in


Now that might sound selfish
And I suppose it is
But for me, you see
For me
It was vital


It was--


You pump out a few kids
With your wife
And you tell me
What a Sunday evening is like
At your house


I guarantee you
It’s not going to be pretty


And that extra day
When I was home
But not home
It felt like I got to be another person


And I never cheated
I never picked up a hooker
At the hotel bar
Or flirted with the girl
Who was giving me eyes in the lobby


That’s not what I wanted
That’s not why I gave myself an extra day


I just didn’t want to be
Anything that I had to be
All the other times I was home


A dad with kids falling off him
And a wife who could take him or leave him


It was so nice
To get that extra time to myself
Whether or not
Anybody would say
I deserved it


It didn’t matter


It was so nice
To fall asleep
All alone
In a hotel bed
Knowing that you’d wake up
To quiet
And nothing but

Quiet

No comments:

Post a Comment