Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Make a Smaller Tribe

I don’t know what to tell you
Just--


Just make a smaller tribe


You used to go outside this house
And worry about--

You always did


You always did worry about
This bigger picture


This picture where it’s important
That everybody looks out
For everybody else


I didn’t raise you to think that way
I didn’t teach you to worry about
Some big moral standard


I told you
To take care of your tribe


Who you marry
Your kids
Your parents


That’s what I said
Who I said
To look out for


Be a good person, sure
But a good person
Looks out for their own
And that’s what I always told you


And then that thing happened
With your Uncle Chris
And I had to cut him loose


Now, he was my tribe
But see
People in your tribe
Are still people
And they screw up

They screw up
And when they do
The tribe shrinks

Because, uh, uh, uh
The tribe
That’s what’s important


The group
The thing
That’s the big thing


That you keep the tribe
Going
Even if one person
Drifts off
Or screws up
Or whatever


You make a smaller tribe


And that’s tough
Nobody’s saying
It’s not tough


But you got to do it


My baby brother
Someone I love
Someone I protected
My whole life


And I had to cut him loose


Because I had to think about the other people
I owed things to

I had to think of you
And your sisters
And you know…


Broke my heart


Broke it right in half


Damn you, Chris

I say it all the time


But what you gotta understand
Is that one day
You
Or one of your sisters
Might screw up
The way your Uncle Chris screwed up
And if that happens--


You’re gone


And it’ll break me again
Even worse than I am right now


But I’ll still have people to think of


I’ll still have your father
To worry about
And if I had to
I could shrink everything
Down to him
Down to him and me


If I had to


He'd never hurt me
And I’d never hurt him
But if that wasn’t the case--


Sometimes you gotta be
Your own tribe
You know?


Sometimes if you want to fall back
You gotta know
That the only person waiting to catch you
Is you

No comments:

Post a Comment