Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Three and a Cot

Three and a cot
And when I got out
I had to make it good
With Aggie


That was worse
Than being in
You ask me


She wanted to know
If I read any books inside


I told her they didn’t lock me
In a damn library


All she knows about prison
Is what she sees on tv


I tell her not all the bad stuff is true
And that there’s some bad stuff
They don’t put on tv
And the worst of the bad stuff
Is how boring it gets


Sitting on a bed
Looking up at the bottom
Of the bunk above you


Aggie asks if I thought about her a lot
And I say ‘Yes’
But really
I just thought about how when I woke up
I was going to be exactly where I was
When I went to sleep


And maybe for most people
That’s how things go
Every night
But when you grow up like I did
Sleeping in the passenger seat
Of your dad’s truck
You never knew what you were waking up to


But usually it was morning cold
The kind that finds the spot
A blanket won’t cover


The blanket in my dad’s truck
Was more like a dish towel
So I had to decide
Which part of me
Got to stay warm
During the night


Dad didn’t even get a blanket
But he said it didn’t matter


He had one of those bigass coats
That made him look like the kid from South Park


When he finally bit it
It wasn’t because of the cold
But a heart attack
After only eating at sloppy diners
For years and miles


I was eighteen
And that year was the first time
I ever got in trouble


No matter how hard
I tried to chase warm climates
The chill always caught up with me


One day I just got sick
Of not having a blanket
To keep myself warm
And some guy next to me in the shelter
Stole my dad’s coat


So I stole one of my own
And that was how it started


Two weeks later
I was doing my first eighty days
And even though
The cell smelled like piss and spunk
But the bed was warm
And I never had a warm bed before
So I was good to go


When they kicked me out
I spent two nights behind a dumpster
In the bad part of Dallas
And that was all I needed to convince me
That sometimes what you’re meant to be
Is nothing more
Than an occupier
In isolation


All that’s a nice way of saying
I was a crook
And I figured a crook
Was all I was good for


My dad was a truck driver
But after a childhood of it
I couldn’t stand the thought
Of getting behind the wheel


Never even got a license


It wasn’t until I met Aggie
That I thought I could survive
Anywhere other than
The bottom bunk


She sold me a pack of smokes
In between time spent
And right away
I knew she was
A new kind of trouble


Still not sure I belong
On the outside
But Aggie had the bed all ready for me
And I wanted to see what it felt like
To have somebody
Lying next to me

For a change

No comments:

Post a Comment