Wednesday, February 6, 2019

I'm Sure I'll Like Whoever It Is You Turn Out to Be

I take you to have and to hold
And to love forever
And I’m sure I’ll like
Whoever it is
You turn out to be


I’m sure if you end up
Becoming a jerk
I’ll love the jerk you are


You’re nice now
And you’re going to change
But there are so many versions of ‘nice’
That maybe you’ll just turn into
Another version of ‘nice’
That I like just as much
As I like the nice you you are now


But that’s probably not likely


What’s likely is that you turn into someone who is not nice
And when that happens
I will continue to love you


Because here we are


Here we are


Standing in front of all these people
Saying ‘Yes’ and ‘I do’ and ‘Sickness’
Did you hear the ‘Sickness’ part?


I did


Did it scare you?

It scared me


I could love Jerk You
But I don’t know if I could love Sick You


I mean, I would love Sick You
But would I have to take care of Sick You?


Can Rich You
Hire someone
To take care of Sick You
Or is that my job
Even if you’re still Rich You
When you become Sick You?


Oh my gosh, imagine if Sick You
Also ends up being Poor You?


That would be awful


Imagine being Sick You AND Poor You?


And what if it’s Sick You, Poor You, and Jerk You?

I have to love all that?


That’s a lot
That’s a lot for me


I mean, I’m standing here right now
And I’m not sure I could sign on for all that


Could you sign on
Or up
Or agree
To only be TWO of those three things?

Or one?
Could you do one?


One would be great


I could live
With any one of those things


Just not three
And probably not two
And definitely not six


What else was in those vows?


I was only half-listening


Did they say anything about skin conditions?
Or impulse control?
Or ugly cars?
Or refusals to clean the space
Between the fridge and the oven?


I need to think a little more about this
But I guess I can do that
Once we’re done here
Because I am STARVING
And we spent all that money
On scallops wrapped in bacon
So I think we should finish this
Do the scallop thing
Get in the limo
And then hash out
What it is
We’re actually getting ourselves into here


And yes--


Yes


We should have done that earlier
But honestly


Planning this whole thing
Took up so much time
I don’t know how anybody expected us
To focus on anything else


But it’s really not a big deal
Because I love you
And you love me
And that’s the story for right now
And as for, like, the future
Like--next week, or whatever
We’ll be fine


We’ll be
Fine


Because I’m sure
I’ll love
Whoever
You end up being

As long
As that person
Is only one
Awful
Thing

No comments:

Post a Comment