Monday, February 25, 2019

When You’re Young You Want Friends, When You’re Old You Need Enemies

There was this big discussion
About getting older
And veering--


Going, uh
More towards the Conservative side
Of things

And, uh
While I don’t want to encourage
That way of thinking--

I still think I’m pretty liberal
Pretty progressive
But I admit--

I admit to
Not being as extreme
In terms of--

In terms of my approach
To things

But, uh
I wanted to hear--

I wanted to hear out
The people who were looking at me
And saying--

Well, you’re so Conservative now
You’re one of those people
You got older
And now you’re more to the right
Of things

And, uh
I thought about that
And reflected on it

And while I still don’t want to
Give it too much attention
I do want to, uh
See if I can figure out
Why that might be true
For other people

And I think it boils down to this--

When you’re young you want friends
And when you’re old you need enemies

Now, I don’t know why that is
Or--or--Well, I do

You get older
And your life
Doesn’t pan out
The way you thought it would

And you want to blame somebody for that
And that’s, uh, that’s a lot of what Conservative thinking
Is these days

It’s just blame
It’s the Blame Game

They try to make it sound like
It’s the other side doing it
Whining and complaining
But the truth is--

Older people
And people who are politically more--

Where the overlap is, uh
Well, it’s in us needing to figure out
Where everything went wrong
And needing to look everywhere
But at ourselves

Young people
They don’t need that
And they can’t understand it
Because you have to be there
At that point in your life
To truly get
Why it happens

It can’t really--

You can try to explain it
Like I’m doing now
But it’s difficult
Because even if your life is perfect--

And too many people
It might look that way--

You’re going to have parts of it
That you’re not happy with

And you’re going to want
An answer for why that is

When I was younger
I wanted friends
I wanted so many friends
I wanted to just, uh
Be surrounded by friends
All the time
Constantly

Now I just want to be
Left alone

And, uh, that doesn’t help
With, uh, being in a sort of--

Progressive mood

I guess you would say

So, you know
Maybe that’s it

Maybe that’s why
You, uh, see that dynamic happening

But the strange thing is

Even if you buy into the dynamic
Even if you believe it, uh

It doesn’t cure it

Understanding it doesn’t--

Uh

Well, then again
I’m not sure
Anything
Would

No comments:

Post a Comment