Wednesday, January 1, 2020

All I Want

All I am is a girl
Having a beer

When the beer’s done
I’ll get up
And head out
And you can follow me
If that’s what you want to do

All I want to do
Is keep the ocean in mind

That’s why I came here
To keep the ocean in mind

You came here
To forget

I came here
To remember

The difference between you and me
Is that I don’t have a boat
Coming to get me
At the end of the week

I’m not sick
I’m not upset
I’m not in need of saving

The boat can come and go
And I don’t need to be on it

I know where I am
And who I am
And you don’t even know
Which is the sand
And which is the water

That’s why I feel bad for you

Well, that’s one reason anyway

You can suck your teeth
All you want
But I know all the ways
You’re going to try
To stall for time
While you look for something to say
That makes you sound genuine
And lovely
And what I’ve been waiting to tell you is--

You don’t need to be
Genuine
Or lovely
For me to keep you around
For the week

A man of the week
Doesn’t need to be
Much of anything
He just needs to keep his mouth shut
And try not to dig his own grave

I’ve determined that you are--

Perfectly fantastic
To look at
While I’m enjoying my beer
And you don’t need to be
Much more than that

Hell, I’d be disappointed
If you tried to be complex

I’d rather you just be fleeting
That would make me--

That would make me
Very happy

You know, when I moved here
I showed up at this bar
And they had a jukebox
Outside
Facing the beach
And I thought
That was the craziest shit
I’d ever seen in my life

Because--

Because I thought I understood
What belonged inside
And what belonged in the open air

Just one thing
On a long, long list
Of stuff I didn’t understand

You ever play a song
On an outdoor jukebox
Sip on a beer
And ask a girl to dance
Who was only going to know your name
For a few days
Before replacing you
With some other dumb man
Who thinks he’s unforgettable?

You should try it

It’s a lot of fun

Put some Joni Mitchell on

The sad stuff
I like the sad stuff

But you can start from the beginning
If you want

Put on Blue

I’ll get you a beer

That’s how we’ll start

If you ask me
That’s a pretty good
Place

To start

No comments:

Post a Comment