Tuesday, January 7, 2020

The Lady Refuses to Solve the Crime

Henry, I don’t want to be a bother
I really don’t
But I simply can’t
Explain who the murderer is

I don’t know if you’re aware of this
But this mystery you’ve written
Is so convoluted
It’s going to take me
At least six or seven pages
Before I get to the big reveal

Six or seven pages, Henry

Do you have any idea
How long it’ll take me
To say all that?

And it’s not deep
Emotional, personal
Musings

It’s this happened
And that means this
And that leads to this
And then this
And then that

I can barely keep any of it straight

They have detectives
For this sort of thing in real life

Actual detectives
Not likes the ones
With the adorable hats
And magnifying glasses

Those detectives have entire walls
Where they lay out a crime
Using photos and yarn

You want me to pretend
That I figured it all out
Using only my mind?

I’m a governess, Henry!

I know you’re planning
On writing an entire series
All about how clever I am
And how I go around
Solving murders
But what are the odds
That I could make heads or tails
Of something as perplexing
As the Murder of the Duke?

I have no idea who killed the fellow
And you’ve given me so many suspects
And so many motives
I should wonder if it’s even worth
Investigating

If that many people hated the man
Perhaps it’s better
That he’s dead

It would certainly save me
Ten or eleven minutes
Of spouting narrative

And then what happens at the end?

The governess solves the crime
And everybody claps?

If it turns out the murderer
Is in the room with all of us
He or she might just lunge at me
With whatever available weapon
Is nearby

If I’ve cracked the case
As you claim I have
Surely somebody else
Must have as well

And yet it falls on me
To deliver this absurd stretch of text
Neverending, or so it appears
With no real arc
Or creative detail

Just all the little clues you’ve laid out
Carefully pointed to
And then one big name at the end

Can’t I just say the name
And why they did it
And have that be that?

All the rest will be sorted out
At trial, won’t it?

Are we going to get to see the trial?

If we don’t see the trial
How do we know the perpetrator
Didn’t just get off on a technicality
Such as having their crime
Be ferreted out
By an amateur sleuth
Who watches babies
In her spare time?

All of this seems dreadful to me, Henry
Really dreadful

I appreciate you wanting to create
A franchise around me
But I’d prefer a nice romance
Where I meet a widower
And we flit about for a few hundred pages
Before deciding we’d like to marry
In a sensible ceremony
Where I’ll hold a tiny bouquet
And the smallest of smiles

Doesn’t that sound nicer
Than what you’ve written, Henry?

Now that’s a book

I would read

No comments:

Post a Comment