Friday, January 10, 2020

Fido's Farm

You know, when they told me
They were taking me to the farm
I thought it was just, you know…

...Code

Code for, you know,
They were just going to take me to the vet
And put me out of my misery

I thought the whole farm thing
Was just a euphemism
So the kids wouldn’t get upset
But it turns out--

There’s a farm!

It’s this farm upstate
Like, way upstate
Like, really far upstate
And at this farm
It’s just me
And, you know,
A bunch of other really sick animals
Who aren’t sick anymore

Many of them are pets
Lots of pets
Tons of hamsters
Just--an insane amount
Of hamsters

Running around everywhere

They’re too sickly to breed
Thank goodness
But it doesn’t really matter
Because every day a new truck pulls up
And just dumps hamsters
All over the place

Bunnies, we have bunnies
Cats, you know,
A lot of cats
And dogs
And a few birds
Not that many birds
But a few

We all just hang out here
And take care of each other
And we don’t die
Which is interesting
You know, because the farm
Must be magic or something
Or why wouldn’t we all
Be dead by now?

I mean, I’m at least fifty
And that is way too old
For a poodle

I’m talking fifty
In human years

To be straight with you,
I don’t think I’m supposed
To live past twenty

Like, I think twenty
Is supposed to be, you know
The maximum
But I was twelve
When I got this farm
And I’ve been here ever since
And that was almost forty years ago

We had a lot of hamsters
Back then too
But now we just have
Way too many hamsters

Sorry, I don’t mean
To keep harping on the hamsters
It’s just that we have--

So many of them

It’s nice though
But…

I miss my kids

They were so awesome
And I bet they’re really sad
Without me

Now they’d be older, of course,
But I bet at the time
They were really sad
To see me go
Thinking I was going to a farm
And that I didn’t want to see them again
When really I was going to a farm
But I did want to see them again
And I thought maybe
They would come visit
But they never did

Maybe they didn’t know how to get here

It’s not easy to find
I mean, it’s way upstate

So maybe they tried
And maybe they just couldn’t find it
And maybe that was sad for them
And maybe they never got another dog
But maybe they did

Maybe they did

But I bet they never
Got a hamster

I don’t think they’d do that

I hope they wouldn’t

It’s not a bad farm

But there aren’t a lot of people around

You miss people
When you don’t have any of them

They’re not always worth the trouble
But boy oh boy
Do they know how to scratch a tummy

I hope I get to see another one again

Not just one driving a truck
Full of hamsters
But a real one

That would be swell

I would really, really

Like that

No comments:

Post a Comment