Tuesday, January 21, 2020

What Made It To The Yard Sale

The elevator doll
Made it to the yard sale

It’s a doll dressed like
One of those men
That used to stand inside elevators

Not the ones who were employed to do so
The ones who did it for fun

Creeps, I believe they’re called

There was one in our building
When I was growing up
And my father’s policy on him was--

If he looks at you
Scream

When I got older, I asked my father
Why he didn’t just report the man
And my father told me
That part of living in the city
Was accepting the fact
That you were always five feet away
From certain death

If we lived in the jungle
Would you expect me to report the lions?

He said that and then took a stroke
So those ended up being his last words

I’m not sure how I got the doll
But I think it was something I picked up
At a flea market
On the Upper West Side
Back when they had flea markets there
Instead of just Satanic cocktail parties

Have you ever been
To a Satanic cocktail party?
The drinks are godawful
But the conversation is divine
Just don’t use that word
While you’re there

I bop around
That’s what I do

Nobody bops anymore

It’s hard enough to get anybody
To go to one place
Let alone several
Let alone several in a night
Let alone to a basement in the Village
Where a man is making his own sausage
And telling you all about how he escaped
From prison

Speaking of sausage
There are two separate machines
You can use to make them
Grinders, they’re called
And they’re out at the yard sale

You know, when I moved out of the city
I had to get rid of so much
And then I sort of got used to it
The ridding
And I found I liked it
So now I do it all the time

But no matter how much I throw away
I keep finding more and more

Like this urn with ashes in it

Who could it possibly be?

All of my relatives were buried
So I know it’s none of them
And the only person I can remember
Being cremated
Is John Updike
The vetererian not the author
But I doubt it’s him
Because he hated an open flame
In a small space
Which is a very specific fear
But one that would definitely prevent you
From agreeing to cremation

Also, John was a very small man
And there’s so much ash here
It just doesn’t seem like him

But I’ll put it out in the yard sale
In case anybody is missing a relative
And wants to pretend it’s them

The scrapbooks didn’t make it out there
Not this time
But I know sooner or later
I’ll have to part with them

The trouble is I don’t know how much to ask
For photos of people
Nobody’s ever met before

I never even met them
I just took photos of people on the bus
And then put them behind plastic
Assuming that one day
It would be considered rather romantic
Instead of creepy
Like the man in the elevator

Everyone who lives in the city long enough
Gets creepy in their own way
Which is maybe why my father
Never wanted to call the authorities on that man
Or on the cheetah that lived on the roof
Of our apartment building

I think that’s where he got his jungle metaphor from
But you never can tell

Boy, it sure is filling up out there

I hope it all sells
So I can buy more like it
And then sell that as well

It’s the selling and the buying I enjoy
And the camaraderie between me, the seller
And the people buying
And the smell of the grass on the yard
And the sound the elevator man makes
When you twist the little wheel on his back

When you do that
‘You’re the Top’
Starts to play

Isn’t that so...creepy?

I don’t know who’s going to buy him
But I can promise you this--

Somebody will

No comments:

Post a Comment