Monday, January 6, 2020

The Trouble with Electric Eels

The trouble with electric eels
Is you can’t train them
The same way
You can train other aquatic minions

I used to have starfish
Which are surprisingly antagonistic
If you raise them right
But I left them on a coral reef one day
And didn’t want to bother
Trying to find them again

So I switched to eels
And that’s been--

Well look, when you have
A pair of animals
Doing your dirty work--

Espionage
Fact-finding
That kind of thing

--When you have all that going on
You do your best

That’s all you can do

Are they constantly electrocuting each other?

All the time

I tell them not to touch
But I get it
It’s hard
They’re siblings
They want to play

And don’t ask me
How something
That’s already electric
Can be electrocuted

I didn’t make the little imps
I’m not god
I’m just an octopus/squid hybrid
With some jewelry
And a ninety-dollar haircut

People see me with them now
The eels, I mean
And they think--

Wow, she’s really got it together

They have no idea
What it took
Just to train those two
Not to swim into a shark’s mouth

But if you need cronies
You can’t go with anything
Too smart

That’s a mistake
I’ve seen all different kinds
Of oceanic villains make

Matthew the Evil Monkfish
Had two dolphins
He tried to bend to his will
And they ripped him in half
And spread his blood
All over the Pacific

It was a travesty

After everything Matthew did
For those two backstabbing bottlenoses

That’s why you have to start
With two dum dum’s
And get them just smart enough
To carry out your plans
Without getting so smart
That they eat your eyeballs
And then tell all their friends about it

The glowing is also not great
If you’re trying
To keep a low profile
But that can’t be helped

They glow
It’s what they do

Do I ask them to tone it down?
Of course
But they’re so sensitive about it
That usually I just hide them
In my box of soprano’s
Whenever I can

They are very friendly though
And very appreciative
Of all that you do for them

Plus, they only live to be fifteen

Did you know that?

I’ve already gone through three pairs
And every time it just breaks my heart

Once one dies
The other usually doesn’t last
Much longer

Then you have to start all over again
With the training
And the conditioning
And the mild brainwashing

But sooner or later
They wind up loving you
Which makes it all worth it

The first time those little electric eyes
Gaze into yours
And you see real affection there

You know that everything you did
Up to that point
Was a solid investment

Of course, by then
They’re usually fourteen
And you’ve only got
One more year with them
Which is, I'll admit--

Unfortunate

No comments:

Post a Comment