Sunday, January 12, 2020

Emeralds for a Diamond Girl

That was just him though
He was always doing too much

Coming to me with diamonds
And I’d say--

Baby, you know my birthstone
I’m an emerald
Like the city

I thought if I made a little joke about it
He’d see that I was only kidding
And that I wasn’t trying
To make him feel bad

But he’d sulk no matter what
Even if you gave him
All the love you had
He’d find a way to turn it
Into teardrops

Everything with him
Was about what could be bought
And what you could put a bow on

I told him that gifts never meant much to me
Just more stuff you had to carry around with you
And throw away when you moved

Moved, he’d say, Where you moving to?

And I’d tell him
That moving wasn’t something you planned

That only real adults
Like my mom and dad
Planned to move
And people like me--

Forever lost girls
Of the High Plains
And Low Canyons

--We just up and left

He didn’t like that very much
And I can see why

He wanted me to be a diamond girl

In fact, he busted his ass
His whole life
Thinking that one day
He was going
To fall in love with a diamond girl
And when he did
He damn well better be able
To afford to keep her

Then he meets me
And what was all that hard work for?

Me with my cup of chicken noodle soup
And some pulled-up weeds
In a vase on my kitchen table

I bought the vase from a yard sale
And the weeds I pulled
From outside a Wendy’s
Down the road from my house

He never wanted to fall
For a girl like me
But there he was
Sleeping in my bed
And opening boxes
On one knee
With diamond rings in them

I wasn’t trying to say
The ring was ugly

I mean, it was ugly
But I find most jewelry
To be pretty gauche
If I’m being honest about it

There’s just things you can wear
When you’re one kind of person
And things you can’t
When you’re another

I like to keep my hands clear
And my neck free of baubles

Usually when somebody pops the question
That means one of those unplanned moves
Is on the way
But…

This time I hung around

Thought maybe I could change him
The same way he was trying to change me

Guess how that worked out?

Well, joke’s on you
It worked out pretty well

Turns out it’s not that hard
To transform a diamond boy
Into a chicken noodle soup man

That’s what I got now

He still acts like a stuffed shirt
Every so often
But I get to be me
All the time
So I don’t complain

See?

Not everything has to end in tears

I’ve been telling my man that
For years now

And maybe one of these days

He’ll believe me

No comments:

Post a Comment