Monday, January 27, 2020

No Small Roles

So what I do is
I stand over here
And when it’s time
I sing the chorus
With the lead

I don’t know if I have a name
I call myself Teresa
But that’s just a choice on my part

I don’t have my own song
Or lines

I mainly stand near this wall
Or sit in that chair
And then get up
And go over to that wall

The other day I was reacting
Like, really reacting
To what the main person was saying
And I felt weird all of a sudden like--

Why am I reacting
So much to this?
I need to pull back

So I pulled way back
But then when the song started
I was a little late
Getting up from the chair
To move to the wall
And everybody kind of felt it
So then when I went home that night
I got into bed
And the Lord spoke to me
And said--

Um, so, it’s no big deal
But, um, you were kind of--

And I said--

No, no, I get it
I totally get it
I can’t do that
I’m sorry
I was just really reacting to--

And the Lord was like--

It’s really fine
Honestly
Happens all the time
It’s just Lead Person
Is Super Important
And we really need
To support Lead Person
In order to not upset
The Great Balance
But, like, you’re also very important
In your own way
But your importance lives in, like,
How you get up from the chair
And how you chime in
When everybody else is singing

I listened and tried not to make excuses
But I also felt as though
I was being spoken down to
Because everybody knows
That even if I sit in the chair and don’t move
Or stand by the wall, picking at my cuticles,
It doesn’t really matter
Because if anybody’s paying attention to me
It’s because they’re bored
And if they’re bored
That’s not my fault
That’s Lead Person’s fault
And I know I should have pride in my life
But my life mainly consists of opening my eyes every day
To find that I’m standing in a musical
Where the music is written
For other people to sing

Sometimes I sing different words under my breath
While the Lead Person is singing
But one time, Guy Near Window caught me
And gave me the dirtiest look
So I stopped doing it
But I also chose to make him somebody
Living with a weird birthmark
Shaped like Tunisia
Just because I was angry

It doesn’t mean he has the birthmark
I’m not the Lord
I don’t speak to people at night
To tell them how they did that day

Oh, BUT the Lord only talks to you
If how you did that day
Was bad

The Lord says that there’s no time
To talk to everyone
Every night
Just to tell them they did the right thing that day
And that doing the right thing
Should be enough of a reward
Without a personal message from the Lord
Saying how proud they are of you
But, like, they’re the LORD

How can they say they can’t do something?
I think it’s more about them not wanting
To do something

I hear they talk to Lead Person
And Second Lead Person
And even Third Lead Person
Every single night
And that makes me so mad
I can’t even tell you

It makes me so mad
That sometimes I want to mess up
In such a way
That not only will the Lord talk to me
To chastise me
But they’ll REALLY talk to me
They’ll ask me
Why I got up during the song
And stepped in front of Lead Person
And sang my own song
That nobody’s ever heard before
And that doesn’t even sound good
Because it’s too difficult for someone
Like me to sing

I don’t know what I’ll say
When that happens
If it ever happens
Which it won’t
Because I’m never going
To be brave enough
To do it
But…

I think about it

Sometimes I think about it
While everyone else is singing
And all I’m doing is moving my lips
But nothing’s
Coming

Out

No comments:

Post a Comment