Friday, January 31, 2020

Martial Arts for Western Children

     (A martial arts studio.  TONY is addressing the CHILDREN.)

TONY:  --But mostly, it's about not taking advantage of your new skills.

     (CARLY raises her hand.)

TONY:  Yes, Carly?

CARLY:  When do we learn how to defend ourselves against zombies?

TONY:  Uh, well, that's not--that's not something we really teach here.

CARLY:  Do you take a more antagonistic approach to zombies?  Kill them before they kill you?

TONY:  Uh--

     (BILLY raises his hand.)

TONY:  Yes, Billy?

BILLY:  Should you look a man in the eyes while you're strangling him?

TONY:  We, uh, we don't strangle here, Billy.

BILLY:  Right, so, like, when the knife's going in him--

TONY:  No, no, no.  No knives.  Never knives.  Billy, this a martial arts class for eight-year-olds, we--

BILLY:  Sorry Sensei Tony, I'm so dumb.  I forgot we'd probably be using swords.

CARLY:  How many zombies can you impale on a sword at once?

TONY:  Uh--

     (LARISSA raises her hand.)

TONY:  Larissa, yes?

LARISSA:  Do you really think violence is the answer, Sensei Tony?

TONY:  I--in regards to what?

LARISSA:  Like what we're doing here?

TONY:  Well, martial arts isn't about violence, Larissa.  It's actually about everything but violence--

LARISSA:  Um, that's just confusing to me, because we spend a lot of time hitting each other and not a lot of time talking about the perpetuation of animosity in our culture.

CARLY:  She's going to die first when the zombies show up.

LARISSA:  I just want us to think about why we're hitting each other.

TONY:  It's much more complicated than just hitting each other, Larissa.

BILLY:  Yeah, like the sword play.

TONY:  There isn't going to be any sword play.

BILLY:  So just shove it right in and aim for the heart?

CARLY:  Zombies don't have hearts.  You'd have to shove it through their skull.

TONY:  I--Wow.

LARISSA:  Sensei Tony, what color belt do you get when you learn to mediate?

TONY:  What?

LARISSA:  I think there should be a mauve belt for when you figure out how to solve a problem without chopping somebody in half.

BILLY:  When do we learn how to chop someone in half?

CARLY:  A lot of zombies are already cut in half because their bodies are constantly decomposing.

BILLY:  Gross.

CARLY:  It's not gross.  It's science.

LARISSA:  Would getting a black belt be the easiest way for me to dismantle the system of aggression at work here?  Kind of a working-from-the-outside-in sort of thing?

TONY:  We were just going to kicks today.

BILLY:  In the throat?

CARLY:  Sensei Tony, have you ever kicked a zombie?  Their skin is essentially paper.  Your foot is going to go in one end and out the other.  I just don't think it's wise.

TONY:  Carly, zombies aren't real!

     (A beat.)

CARLY:  I would like to speak to your manager.

TONY:  I own this place, Carly.

CARLY:  My mother is not paying you every week so that you can sit here and tell me that climate change isn't real.

TONY:  Climate change is real.  Zombies aren't.

CARLY:  I fail to see the difference.

TONY:  You don't see the difference between global warming and the undead walking among us?

BILLY:  You bring up a good point, Sensei Tony.  With food scarcity on the horizon, we might want to dispense with your little girly kicks--

LARISSA:  Oh, that terminology is--

BILLY:  --And get right to crushing people's windpipes.

TONY:  That's not what we teach here, Billy.

BILLY:  Okay, we'll do it Larissa's way.  First we'll talk to them and then do some deep breathing and on their last inhale, we punch them in the throat.  Sound good?

LARISSA:  I'm willing to negotiate.

TONY:  Seriously?

LARISSA:  I'm not a wrecking ball, Sensei Tony.  I didn't come here to blow up the house--

TONY:  That's not what wrecking balls--

LARISSA:  --I came here to take it apart brick-by-brick.  I'm eight-and-a-half.  I've got nothing but time, and my Dad pays for these lessons, so--

CARLY:  I still can't believe you're trying to convince us there aren't any zombies.

TONY:  Carly, have you ever seen a zombie?

CARLY:  In the wild, no?

TONY:  In the--

BILLY:  Sensei Tony, I agree with you when you say that there's only a seventy percent chance zombies are real--

TONY:  Those numbers are--

BILLY:  But we're all here today because we like to be prepared for anything.

LARISSA:  That's true.  It's why I'm so disappointed you don't offer reiki.

BILLY:  Sensei Tony, we're growing up in a terrifying world.  I think it's great that you want to teach us to be responsible with our innate destructive instincts, but--

TONY:  Didn't say innate--

BILLY:  --But really, we need to know about survival.

TONY:  Billy, that's not what martial arts is about.

LARISSA:  So it's not about murdering people with machetes--

BILLY:  It's not?

LARISSA:  And it's not about how you can take down a terrorist using acupuncture--

BILLY:  Well, yeah, they're just little needles.  One in the eye and--

LARISSA:  Sensei Tony, you're on the fence.  And as Dr. King once said, "Get off the fence, Sensei Tony."

     (CARLY raises her hand.)

CARLY:  May I speak?

TONY:  I really wish you wouldn't, but--

CARLY:  Sensei Tony, I didn't want to bring this up, but people have told me that your brother-in-law is a zombie.

TONY:  I'm an only child.

CARLY:  Be that as it may, if you teaching us to murder zombies presents a conflict of interest--

TONY:  Okay, everybody line up.

BILLY:  Why?

TONY:  We're going to do a more advanced exercise.  I typically wait until much later to do it, but I really just want you all to shut up.

LARISSA:  You think showing us some trick is going to get us to--

TONY:  I can teach you how to chop wood in half.

     (The CHILDREN gasp.)

BILLY:  For real?

CARLY:  Real wood?

LARISSA:  Is it locally sourced?  Was the tree already dead when you took its soul from it?  Can you take a video of me doing it so I can show my dad?

TONY:  Works every time.

     The End

No comments:

Post a Comment