Friday, January 3, 2020

Next Year We'll Do Better

Next year we’ll do better

I talked about
Putting that new carpet down

Not sure where the money’s
Going to come from for that
But we’ll figure it out

I just don’t want you to worry
Because your teachers are all saying
It’s affecting you

Not that your grades are bad
Just that you’re pulling on your hair
And they’re worried about your weight
Plus some other stuff

Granted, it’s easy for me
To sit on your bed
And tell you this year
Will be different
But, you know, I think
That every so often
You get to a place
Where things have
To be different

And that’s where we’re at now

We really don’t have a choice
But to change

Meaning me
Meaning I have to change

You just have to--

You just have to
Remember you’re a kid
And not do anything
But be a kid

I appreciate you
Going above and beyond
Around the house

Taking care of your sisters
And fixing up the room
For your grandma
While I was getting better
But now we have to get back to
Some kind of routine

Nobody’s saying that January 1st
Everything’s going
To go back to normal
I know that’s not how it works
But we have to use this
As a way to reset ourselves

You know what I mean?

I think we were all hoping
That if we stayed how we were
Time would move backwards
And we’d get some of the good stuff
We used to have back
But…

It doesn’t work that way

I can’t be laying up in bed
And you can’t be sitting at school
Wondering if there’s enough food in the fridge
To make dinner for everybody
After you do your homework

The school is only being nice for now
But pretty soon
They’re going to send people around
And if we’re not up to snuff
They’ll start making moves
To clear us all out of here

I don’t like scaring you
But it’s time we all
Got a little scared

I know whose fault it is
Don’t worry
This isn’t about blame

I just need you to not fight me on this
When the time comes
For me to get back on my feet

It’s hard when you’ve been calling the shots
To just stop and let somebody else do it
Even when it’s the person
Who should have been doing it all along

So when the time comes
You just gotta let it happen

Like I said, it won’t be first of the year

It probably won’t even be
The first month
But I’ll get there
And when I get there
You gotta let me
Come back in
Like you’re okay with it
So your sisters and your grandma see
That I can handle it
Otherwise we’re all in trouble

Next year we’ll do better
Because if we don’t
There might not be
Many more years together

That’s why we have to start getting ready for it

We have to think about
How good everything’s going to be
With the new carpet
And the new stove I’m going to buy
And the flowers we’re going to put on the table
For when we have dinner

We have to keep all that in mind
Because it’s going to be a big change
When it comes

When it comes
It’s going to pretty much
Knock us all

For a loop

1 comment: