Friday, January 24, 2020

The Night Was Still There

I traveled for eight years
Through turbulent times
To try and arrive
At this exact moment

What a night awaits
What a perfect explanation

For Heaven is the answer
To every question
You’ve ever had

But further down
Along the shore of defeat
I found people
Crestfall people
Hugging sand as it scattered
Onto their bare legs

Fall not into disrepair
The begging would say

For if you travel as I have
You will make your way
To a night
That is lit up
Brighter than any day

A night that promises
No cold or want of shelter
Quartz and topaz
A sky so expressive
You’d swear
It was a canvas

You will wander away
From the night
And when you return
There will be no greater shock
Than the one you will feel
Knowing the night was still there

All that time you were gone
Through all those varied lifetimes
Having all your sons and daughters
Marrying all the loves
Of your many lives

Buying land
Fighting war
Giving into sickness
And solitude

Only to return to the greatest answer
Which is--

Nothing was lost

There is a great finality
Corseted along the edge
Of whatever we think
The floor will be
And this floor
That is not a floor
But something stronger
And more stable
Is made of impermeable stuff
Because it is the End

But it is not meant
To inspire fear

On the contrary
It is there
To let us know
That whatever we drop
Will be caught

Whatever we let go
Will be received
By another

Whatever we feel
We’ve given up on
Was taken up as a cause
By someone who could travel
A few miles farther
Than we could
At our weariest

I traveled for eight years, myself
And when I was finished traveling
I wanted to return
And found I did not know the way

There were no bread crumbs 
Or lighthouses
Guiding me home
And no adventures
To preoccupy my mind
While I went off in a thousand
Wrong directions

Just monotony
Loneliness
And the sound of someone
Calling my name

The name I hadn’t used
Since the day I left
And a voice that sounded
Like a song
I hadn’t sung
Since the day I was born

Or a song that had been sung to me
A song that used to ring familiar
With words in another language
That I no longer speak

I traveled until I reached
The place where the insurmountable End
Meets the Up and Up
And that’s where I rested
Knowing that from then on
People would come to me
If I needed them to
But I needn’t travel

Anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment