Wednesday, January 8, 2020

My Old Man

My sister thinks she’s special
Because now she’s had
A wedding

She’s had a wedding
And I went
And the chicken was dry
But according to her
It was perfect
The whole thing
And I’m the one
Who should be feeling
All kinds of ways
About how I’m living
And who I’m living with

I don’t need her opinions
Her and her dry chicken

Her canned vegetables
And her maid of honor
Who wasn’t me
Because I wanted--

I wanted nothing to do with it

Her maid of honor
Stands up and gives a toast
To my sister
And her new husband

The guy I’m with?

I couldn’t even bring him
Didn’t even get a plus one
Because my sister says
We’re not all that serious

Like she knows all about
What’s serious and what isn’t

I’m serious as a heart attack
About my old man

And I go around telling people
We’re never getting married

He doesn’t tell people that
I tell ‘em that

Because what’s it mean
To be married?

It means you do it once
Twice, three times

My sister?

This is time number four

I shit you not

Fourth time
And she’s still got the white dress on
And the bad chicken
And the drunk best friend
Talking about how perfect she
And Guy #4 are together

It’s all one big lie

I don’t need a lie
I need a guy
My guy
The one who sticks with me
Because nobody’s telling
He has to

And if one day
He doesn’t want to
We won’t need to go see
Any lawyers
Or mediators
To split up all our shit
And rip each other’s faces off

Who wants that?

Every night, we sit on the couch
I put my head in his lap
And he runs his hands
Through my hair
And he sings to me
With the most beautiful voice
You’ve ever heard

You ever date a man
With a beautiful voice?

It’ll change your whole damn life

The last man I was with
Had everything going for him
But at night
When we were on the couch
There was two feet between us
And I couldn’t tell you
How many times he touched me
With the intention
Of making me feel good
And only that

And he couldn’t sing

This man has a lot less
Than the last man
But he’s my man
Because for him, it’s me
And for me, it’s him
And I’m not a poet
So I can’t explain it
Any better than that

You’re never going to see us
Sitting at a big table
Watching all our friends and family
Eating bad chicken

And you might never hear him sing
But you trust me
He can sing

And until you hear it
You’ll never know
How badly

You needed to

No comments:

Post a Comment