Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Bandit Sings

Tonight I’m singing at Heads ‘N Tails
Which I’m sort of nervous about
Because it’ll be my first time performing
After being neutered


Like, I have no idea
What my voice is going to sound like


I’ve done some warming up
And everything feels like
It’s still pretty much the same


But my boy Skippy
Got snip-pyed
And now he’s a tenor
But not a pop tenor
Just, like, a tenor tenor


So, yeah, he can still sing
But now he has to sing about sad stuff
And young love
And he’s six-years-old
So nobody’s buying that


Back before I got cut
I would never have played a dump
Like Heads and Tails


I sold out six shows
At Kibbles and Hits
And Wag mag said
I was the next chapter
In American canine music


But then my owner
Put me in the car
And said we were going
To the park
And like an idiot
I got in the backseat
All excited
Only to wake up
With a cone on my head
And no more…


Well, you know how it goes


I didn’t even bother
Trying to call my agent


She doesn’t represent
Neutered pets


Oh, it’s not like an official policy of hers
But everybody knows
She doesn’t return your calls
Once you lose your b--


You get it


I was pretty much a pup again
At least from a professional standpoint
Which meant starting back at the beginning
Cold-calling venues
Offering to work for treat tickets
Opening for…


Cats


Heads and Tails is still top
Of the bottom shelf
And considering this is my comeback
I can’t complain that it took me
A third of what-will-probably-be-my-lifetime
To get back here again


But the booker for H&T
Asked me if I can still do
All the old chart-toppers
And I said ‘Ruff!’
But, between you and me?

I’m not sure


When I vocalize
I still have the top
Of the bottom part
Of my range
But that’s by myself
When I’m feeling good
And my human’s given me
Bottled water
Instead of making me drink tap


It’s not in front of a real audience
With critics
And people who remember
The dog I used to be


It’s not just my voice either


My memory isn’t what it used to be
So I have to keep the lyrics nearby
And my free-wheeling banter
With the audience
Feels more forced than it used to
Which could be my insecurity
Or just the changing cultural dynamics
Of live performance


I picture myself up there onstage tonight
Completely frozen
Staring out into the crowd
Tongue hanging out
That itch behind my ear happening
At the same time as the itch
On my tummy


They’re all waiting for me to sing
And I can’t


I just can’t


A lot of dogs retire
After their surgery
But I just wasn’t ready
To hang it up


It’s not like I’m trying to learn new tricks
I’m just trying to learn
How to be me again


But does anybody even remember
Exactly who that was?


Do I?


Older dogs who’ve been where I am
Would tell me to just take a seat
On a pile of dirt in the audience
And let some other pooch
Have the spotlight


And maybe they’re be right
About that


But when I think about some of those songs
My tail starts wagging
And it…


It just won’t stop


A dog’s gotta trust his tail, you know?


If nothing else

I gotta believe in that

No comments:

Post a Comment