Saturday, January 18, 2020

Little Green

Where would I put you?
Where could you go?

The crib doesn’t fit in the living room
Unless I throw out my father’s chair

I don’t have a car
I don’t have a nickel

The fridge is basically just
Sitting there

Who would watch you
While I wait tables
At the cocktail bar?

Who would watch you
When I sleep
All day?

How much could I change
Just because I needed to?

Does change just happen
Naturally?

Is that the way it works?

Nobody ever told me
How it works

Would he come back
To help me?

Would you show us
How it’s done?

What kind of school
Would I send you to?

What if you got sick?
What if you weren’t well?
What if you weren’t
The most self-sufficient kid
That was ever born
To someone?

And who would they send you to?

What would your chances be?

I know what your life
Would look like here
But here’s not much
And there’s only one drawer
With any room in it

The shower doesn’t work
The doors don’t lock properly
The window to the fire escape
Doesn’t open all the way

Who would let me keep you?
If someone had the say

Who would look at
All of this
And tell me
You could stay?

I think in terms of music
It’s all I’ve ever done

The music I could make with you
It’s much too quiet
Much too soft

A baby makes noise
A baby asserts herself
A baby doesn’t care
How much gets done

Or if you want to sleep all day
Or why the shower doesn’t work
Or what excuse her father has
For living a thousand miles away

You’re better off
Rolling the dice

The problem is
You don’t know that yet

So I have to roll for you
And then you get to find out
If I’m wrong

If I had
Two more years

I bet I’d let you stay

Two more years
And this all could be
A mansion
Or a penthouse
Or a farmhouse
In the country

But you don’t have
Two years

Neither of us do

I’m going to give
My mother’s name
To you

And if they let you keep it
Then you’ll have a part of me

And if they don’t
I guess it means
That lost is how
It’s meant to be

It only seems tragic right now
Because the leaves
Are off the trees

But when we’re back
To spring

Spring’s when things
Make sense

I tell myself
I’ll let go you and know why
In the spring

Because where would I put you?

Where could I put you?

I wish I had the room

I wish I had
The biggest room
That anyone’s
Ever seen

And if I had that room
I’d paint it

Green

No comments:

Post a Comment