Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Carey

Nobody could live
In a place like this

Not even you

Not me, not for long
Although I like the sound of the ocean
And I like walking up the shore with you

If it didn’t get so cold at night
I would put up a little hammock
And I’d find a place where you
Could set your cane

I’d build a fire
And we’d tell each other stories
Until we ran out of stories to tell
And then we’d be happy
Because we wouldn’t feel any pressure
To say anything to each other

We could just be in love
And let love be enough

That would all be lovely
If this was any kind of place
To have a life

But it’s a cave on a beach
In a country
Where I don’t speak the language
And I can’t…

I can’t make a living
Doing what I love

I’d really like to make a living
Not for the money of it
But for the feeling of it

Knowing I can reach people
Knowing I can contribute something
To the greater human story

You make me feel like
Dying having only talked
To one other person
Only--

Only ever having known
One other person
Would be…

Would be worthwhile

But I know that’s not true
And so do you

Two people can’t just be
Two people

There’s got to be
More to it than that

As much as I would love
To live like it was millions of years ago
With nothing but dinosaurs
And jagged rocks
And the ocean

It’s not that

You can’t hide from the world
In a cave
Because even the cave is the world

It would come in
A little bit at a time
Just like how the water
Rolls up to the mouth of it

You know it’s not going to drown you
But it’s not going to go away either

I came here to escape
And I forgot that

I forgot that you can’t escape
And then make the escape
A way of life

You can only drive the getaway car
Until you’ve gotten away
And then you’re supposed to, I don’t know
Set it on fire or something

That’s why we’ve having this talk

Because it’s time to set it all
On fire

That sounds so dramatic
But it’s just me
Feeling that feeling
Of back home

Of the music coming back
Through windows
And out onto streets
And it gets so loud
You close your eyes
Just so you can hear it better
And it…

It doesn’t make any sense
But it feels good
All the same

I really…

I really wanted to replace
That cane of yours

I wanted you to feel like…

Like for the rest of your life
You could go
Any way you wanted to go
And it would be all right for you
Because I’d be there standing

Standing and ready

But the water’s getting too close

I fall asleep
Your arms and fingers
Around my arms and fingers
Like we’re so many hands
We could reach
Whatever we wanted to
But then I see that line
That line of ocean
Poking its head in

It’s never going to drown us
But it’s not going anywhere, is it?

Is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment