Sunday, January 5, 2020

All the Parties I’m Not Going To

I’m not going to the party
On the boat

I have no interest
In a boat party

I have no idea
What they’re celebrating
On the boat
And I have no intention
Of finding out

Did I say I would go?

Sure

Will I go?

Not a chance

Will anybody notice?

I guess it depends
On how big the boat is

Sometimes I think about
All the parties
I’m not going to

But the more I think about them
The more I consider going to them
And in my experience
Going to them
Usually results
In me
Wanting to go home

So why not just stay home?

Cut out the middle part

Makes all the sense
In the world to me

I’m not going to the birthday party
Because it makes me think
Of how time marches on
And we’re all just baby-puking our way
Towards death

I’m not going to the engagement party
Because statistically
That couple is not going to make it

I’m not going to the retirement party
Because I can’t retire
Because by the time I’m old enough to retire
The retirement age won’t exist
And we’ll all just be dying at our desks
Like 1984 meets Dilbert

I do go places
I’m not a shut-in
It’s just that the places I go
Are places where I don’t have to talk to anybody
Or look at anyone
Or smile
Or stand up for a prolonged period of time

And Yankee Candle
I like Yankee Candle

Now, some might ask if I’m...happy

To that I would say--

People at parties aren’t happy

They’re just at parties

They’re out
Unless it’s their party
In which case
They’re hiding in a guest bathroom
Praying for an aneurysm

They’re around other people
They’re laughing
They’re telling stories
They’re listening to stories

And all of this
Seems healthier
Than sitting at home
Arguing with people on Twitter
About which of the Brady kids
Was the stupidest

...Bobby, obviously

But the truth is
There is nothing wrong
With bypassing parties
As long as people still like you enough
To invite you to them

That means you still have society ties
And as long as you do
You’re fine

Whether or not you engage
With those, uh, ties
Isn’t really all that important

It just matters that they’re there
And refusing them
Shows that you can be alone
With your thoughts
Which means you’re mentally sound
And the red wine you’re drinking
Means...something good
About, uh, blood pressure
I don’t know
I’m not a scientist

What I am
Is a very content individual
With two small dogs
Named after Greg and Peter
And NOT Bobby
And a lot of friends
Who I love very much
And see twice a year
Provided I don’t have a headache
That day

Listen, it could be worse

If you think about it

It could be a lot

Worse

No comments:

Post a Comment