Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Producer's Wife

I don't know why I didn't think
That he would assume I'm stupid

He thinks everybody's stupid
Everybody in America
Everybody who sees his movies

He has zero respect
For human intelligence

This is a man who produced
The Scar Tissue movies
All eight of them
And none of them
Not even the first one
Made any sense

But people went to see them
They went in droves
Any one of them made more money
Then that beautiful movie he produced
About the deaf cellist
The movie that won the Oscar

So he started thinking people were stupid
That they have no common sense
That they don't pay attention

He started becoming careless
Not reviewing the drafts
Of the screenplays
Not checking consistency
Not bothering to keep track
Of which characters died
In which movie

And still nobody cared
People kept handing over money
People kept screaming at things
That didn't line up

No wonder he was so blatant about the affair

At least it wasn't with one of his actresses
I can forgive an affair with a middle-class waitress
Who has two kids and no husband
I can feel bad for that woman
I can understand how sleeping with a millionaire
Might be too much to turn down
Even if you do have a strong sense of morality

But an affair with an actress
Would be more than I could overlook

At first I was just mad
That he thought I wouldn't notice
All the signs
All the obvious signs

Then I realized
He thought I was just another moviegoer
Just another person
Who didn't bother
To follow the plot
From one movie to the next

And it never occurred to him

That maybe they just wanted to scream

Those people who paid to see his movies
Maybe they didn't care about why they were screaming
They just wanted the smallest sliver of an excuse to do it
They just needed a release

And a release doesn't need to make sense or be intelligent

If anything, it helps if it's not

I wasn't unaware that my husband's actions
Weren't making sense
And I figured out very quickly
What was going on
And I just...didn't care

My husband is sort of like his movies
Predictable and comfortable

I knew that when I married him

So I let him keep screwing his waitress
And he kept thinking he was fooling me

Sometimes I want to tell him
Just to see his mouth drop

I want to say--

'You're not fooling anyone, you know'

But then I don't
Because it's not over yet
This little marriage
That we have going on

And he keeps making money
Money that will be up for grabs
When we divorce
If we divorce

So why show my cards now?

What can I say?

I never like
To spoil a good ending

No comments:

Post a Comment