Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Step Over Me

I'm laying down
And I'm not moving
So everybody
Just step over me

You should all be used to it
It's nothing new
I have your footprints
Permanently implanted
On every article of clothing
I own

As you can see
I'm laying in a convenient spot
Right beside the refreshment table
So you can step over me
To get your potato salad
To get your lasagna
To get your assorted chips

I will not be ignored
But I will allow myself
To be avoided

Why not?
I've been allowing it my whole life
Why stop now?

If you wish to speak to me
Just look down and talk
You're all used to talking down to me anyway
I don't see why you'd mind

Maybe we can make a game out of it
Drop food and see if you can make it
Land in my mouth

I'm wearing my nice heels
Maybe I can kick my feet up
And you can use me
As a ring toss

Doesn't that sound fun?

. . . . .

Wouldn't it be so much easier
If we all just took the form
Of what we actually are

If the wallflowers actually stuck to the wall
If the drunks just filled up the bathtub and soaked in it
If the doormats just laid down
And assumed their role

Wouldn't that be easier?

I think so

So just step right over me
Or step on me
Whatever's easier

Right now
I'm all about
What's easy

No comments:

Post a Comment