Tuesday, August 18, 2009

As Long As I Can See My Hands

Lock me away
Put me next to stone
Next to cold hard stone
Where I can write my name
Chiseled into the gray

Where I can spend my days
Hearing an ocean I can't see
Being afraid to sit or stand
For fear I'll discover my dimensions
Pretending I'm okay here
Locked away in the dark

I'll be fine
As long as I can see my hands

When I can see the scar I got
From cutting my finger
Slicing up apple pieces
To put in her mouth

When I can see the lines
From a time well-spent
On a place where a man's mistakes
Are greater than the homes he built
The stones he put in the ground
Stones like the one that surround him now
That kept the cold from hitting
Good decent people

When I can see my lifeline
I'll know I got enough time
To make what I've done wrong right

When I close my eyes for the night
I'll sleep with my hands over my face
And place myself back in her arms

When I can taste the metal
On the bars and on the ground
Without even opening my mouth

When I can see the light
Hit the edge of the ring
That says it'll bring me back
To the one person I never hurt

I know I'll be just fine
Just as long as I can see that oath

As long as I can see my hands

No comments:

Post a Comment