Thursday, August 6, 2009

You Can't Get Me Out

You can sing up to my window
Blasting your past toward my panes
Gaining access to my front hall
By having a ball with my mother
Like no other boy who's tried the same tactics
And ecstatically failed
But you'll bail like they bailed
When your kidding fails
To nail me down

You can get to mom
But you can't get me out

You can learn to dance
And by chance I may see you on the floor
Pouring elegance into your moves
But don't think you'll prove much
By touching the spots on me
You see as being
Softer than the rest
The best you can do
Is still less that impressive
And it gets old fast too

You can get me to dance
But you can't get me out

You can make me dinner every night
And see if I'll bite on the opportunity
Or if it's too soon for me
To get over the last asshole
That took his toll and took off
But I'll just scoff and keep eating
While you're beating your head
Against the table rather than my headboard
Wondering if I'm bored with you
Or simply overdue
For an emotional awakening

You can shake and bake me
But you can't get me out

You can't get me out
Of my mind and find me
Somewhere other than
My own head

You can't get me lost
Costing me bridge fare
Caring enough to dare
To jump off

Caring enough for you
Enough for myself
Enough for anyone
Or any fun
You may be supplying

I'd be lying if I said it was you
It's not you
It's not me
It's being

It's being here
I hate being here
And if you want to know
The secret to my heart
It lies in the distance
Not dancing
Or cooking
Or my family way

Showing me you'd stay
Is as good as driving me away
The common link
That you don't think of
Is that every guy
Who's put miles between us
Usually wins my undying love
Without even trying

And putting anything
Between you and me
Is something I see you can't do
It's sweet
I don't blame you
But I can't love you either

I don't need to love you
I just need to get out
And you?

You don't get me
You can't get to me
You won't get over me

And you can't get me out

No comments:

Post a Comment