Monday, August 17, 2009

Crazy Seemed Right

Do you know I considered hiring you a gospel choir?

At one point
That actually seemed like a good idea to me

Getting a group of spirited Baptists
To serenade you
With some sort of secular-yet-non-offensive song

Something like--

'Gotta Have Me Go With You'

or

'Say You Love Me'

And I was going to be the leader
Of this renegade gospel choir
Standing outside your apartment
Like John Cusack
Except in place of a boombox
Playing 'In Your Eyes'

I was going to have eighteen to twenty southerners
Belting out 'Always Be My Baby'

Yup
That seemed reasonable to me

Crazy seemed right
Isn't that something?

What are the odds
That another person
Is going to go that crazy over you?

Okay, maybe that's scary
Maybe that's a crazy thought
But can't it also be kind of...

I don't know

I know my odds aren't good
I know that
I know that nobody's going crazy over me
Anytime soon

So I know I have to hope for you
I have to at least hope
That you look at me
And feel like I feel
Every time my phone rings
And your name pops up

Do you know I was going to dance on the highway?

When we went to Charlie's party
And I drove you home
And you were kinda drunk
But not in a bad way
And we sang along to the radio
And 'Love the One You're With' came on
And the windows were down
And your hair was up
And we were...

We were really happy
Not even fakin' it
But really happy

Weren't we?

After I dropped you off
You don't know this
Uh...

It's crazy
I know

I danced on the highway
I felt so elated
I felt like a balloon
Like someone filled me up with something
And I was going go right out the driver's side window

So I stopped the car
And I left the radio on
And the keys in the ignition
And I got out
And I danced

I danced right in the breakdown lane
And when I saw there were no cars coming
I went out into the road
And I danced around
Like a madman

It was crazy
You made me crazy
And crazy seemed right

And all I'm askin'
All I'm sayin' is

A man who dances on the highway is crazy
But isn't a man who loves you
Who really loves anybody
As much as I love you

Isn't that man crazy too?

Maybe that's what you need
From anybody
Maybe you need a little crazy
Maybe finding someone who only sort of loves you
Who you sort of love
Maybe that's a key to longevity
But it sure ain't a key to happiness

Don't you want to be with the guy
Who wanted to skywrite for you?
The guy who wanted to name a fjord after you?
The guy who curled up next to his phone
When he went to bed after tiring himself out
By doing the twist on I-95
In case for any reason you called?

Don't you want that guy?
I know you're not supposed to
I know you're supposed to run
I know the theory is that I'll end up
Turning into a cat-murdering lunatic

But if I could promise you that I'm not
If I could say that I know I might be crazy
And that might be why I'm not
Why I'm just in love

If I could promise
Would that make it easier
To love me back?

Would it start to feel right
The way how I feel
Feels right?

I danced on the highway
Because you were the last person I saw
Before I went to bed

That's gotta be something to love
Doesn't it?
Doesn't it sort of seem right?

No comments:

Post a Comment