Thursday, October 11, 2012

Barry and the C.E.O.

I was hanging out with him this weekend
At his house, out by the Port Shore
He calls me up on my cell on Friday afternoon
And he goes--'Barry, come down to the lake this weekend'
And I got nothing to do, because Marie's at her mother's until Sunday night
So I say 'What the hell?'  and I go

Hey, give me a smoke, will ya?
I said I was gonna quit
I did, I did quit
But the boss got me re-addicted soon as I got to his place

I pull up and right away
He's taking my bags up to this guest room
That looks out over the water
And I'm saying 'Don't you have people who do this?'
Take the luggage, I mean
And he goes, 'Nah, not on the weekends anymore.
Had to cut back'
Not that I can't carry my own bags
But a C.E.O. carrying a warehouse stacker's bags is a little strange to me

I get all settled in
And we sit out on the porch
Smoking cigars and just shooting the shit
And he's talking about this federal investigation
And how it might end up meaning some big things
And I say 'Like jail time big things?'
And he shrugs his shoulders like 'Who knows?'
And I'm surprised, because I think he's just going to say
It's a fine or something
It's nothing

But I guess that's not the case

Shit, you know?

That's a bad deal, if you ask me

I mean, I don't understand all this money stuff
But I know the boss is a good guy
He doesn't belong in jail
That's for damn sure

He ain't no criminal

I mean, he has me over to the house
Once, twice a month, if not more
When I was going through my divorce
I spent a whole week there

When Murray's kid was born early
The boss was at the hospital every night
Checking on everybody

And when Janie had that surgery on her knee
He paid to have a nurse for her
A personal nurse, came to her house and everything

So, I told him, I said--

'Listen, boss, anything happens to you
They take you to court or something
We'll all be right there with you.
They'll have to drag us all to jail
This ain't just a company
This is like family'

And he laughed and just pat me on the shoulder
And said, 'Thank you'
And, you know, he meant it
But he said we'd take it as it comes
Which I guess is a good way to look at it

The next day we went fishing
And that son-of-a-bitch caught this thing
Half the size of me

We took a picture of it
Him and me

It's a good picture

I mean, it's just a guy and his boss
But still
It's nice

Two guys having fun
On a weekend
Sun, cigars, and fishing

That's how it should be, right?

That's how it should be
Everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment