Monday, October 22, 2012

When You Move Back from San Diego

When you move back from San Diego
Don't expect to just show up
At the old place on Covington
Thinking we're going to get sushi again
And all's well that ends well

I'll be here
But I won't be here here
Do you understand

I'm not going anywhere
I have roots
I've invested

What about you, huh?
Show me your roots

And you want to dance off for a year
Maybe more, maybe ten
Knowing full well
In the long run
San Diego is not where you're winding up

Why don't you just buy a clock
And throw it off a bridge
Not to see if time flies
But to see how much of it
You can toss away
Before it hits you
That people are mad

People are mad at you
And I don't know what to do about that

Because I'm supposed to stand here, right?
I'm supposed to stand here holding the torch
While you figure things out

What if I don't have time
For you
To figure
Things out?

What then?

You don't have a plan
You don't have a goal
You don't have a fucking idea
What is it you're even hoping for

You just know that moving from one place to another
Is a decent facsimile of progress

Yeah, well guess what?

You're not fooling anybody

Shit's bad here
Shit's bad in San Diego
Shit's probably bad on the Moon, babe

And some of us are running away
And some of us are sticking it out
And the ones who stick
Don't really have a lot of time or patience
For the ones who run
So you need to decide
Who it is
You want to be

And decide fast

Because a train's leaving
And a train's leaving
You know what I mean?

Your life goes in two directions
And it goes fast
So pick where it is you want to be ten years from now
And go there

Get a move on

Because the one thing nobody's doing
Is waiting

Waiting or around, you know?

You know what I'm talking about?

I hope so
I hope you do

No comments:

Post a Comment