Thursday, October 18, 2012

Closing, 3:11am

She starts bringing up the kids
And I'm like, Tonya, don't do that
Don't bring up the kids
When the kids are in private school
Because I'm busting my ass
Keeping this bar open

She thinks I'm playing around
Drinking and screwing girls
While she's doing dishes
And helping with homework every night

I tell her she should come down some night
See just how many girls I take in the back room

You know, when I was with to Monica
She worked the bar with me
And before I knew it
We were at each other's throats

So when I met Tonya
I said--Nope, you're staying out of the bar
Stay home, relax, watch your kids
Enjoy yourself

And she's coming up with all these reasons
These things in her head
That tell her why I'm here every night
Until after three thirty

And I tell her it's a business
It's all about running a business
And that's true

But the other truth is
I just don't feel like dealing with anything
In the daytime

I see the sun coming up
And suddenly I'm tired
I'm exhausted
I just want to close my eyes
And sleep until the sun's down again

Monica used to ask me if I was a vampire
And I'd joke with her and say--Yeah, I'm Dracula
But the truth is...
I really felt like that
Like I was dead
And the sun was just a reminder
A reminder that I'm not one of the living

I don't understand the daytime
The 9 to 5-ers
The people who go for morning jogs
It's just not my speed

So I have a bar
A life I can live
At night

But my kids need a dad full-time
My wife wants to see me sometime before six pm
Everyone needs me to be someone else

So I pour myself a drink
And I think about what I want to do

Because I have a life
And something inside me
That don't gel, you know?

So what do I do?

I don't know

I'm supposed to be the one with the advice
The one behind the bar

And the sun keeps coming up, you know?

It just keeps coming up

No comments:

Post a Comment