Thursday, October 11, 2012

Frankfurt Airport, Broken Lights

Nobody's forcing you to take the red eye
That's the first thing I want to say to you

Nobody is, in any way, shape, or form
Insisting that you take the red eye
And rush out of Frankfurt

You want to hang around?
You want to do a little sight-seeing?
You want to--I don't know
Just relax for a few days
And come back to DC
Refreshed and ready to work?

I'm all for it

But I do need you to come back straight, Jack
I need you to come back with your head on right
Because if not, you might as well stay where you are
And I mean indefinitely
I'll take you off all the lists
I'll write up the release papers myself
All I'll need from you is a Skype session where I debrief you
That's how we do it now
Believe it or not

Fifteen minutes and you're no longer part of the agency
It's as simple as that

Because I can't have a fuzzy mind
Working as one of my guys, Jack

And right now your mind is...
It's nowhere near acceptable
In terms of...

Look, you know what I'm getting at

That guy you let go
That guy two blocks from the airport hotel
Where you've been staying
The guy we needed you to take out
We know you didn't do it, Jack

Now, frankly, that's punishable
That's a prison sentence--best case scenario

But you're my guy
You're my best guy
So I don't need you in jail
Just because you got...confused

I don't want to discuss
--Especially not over the phone--
I don't want to discuss over the phone
While you're sitting in some shithole airport in Frankfurt
Hell, I've never been there, maybe it's nice, but the point is--

I want you to come home

Do you hear me, Jack?

I want you to come home
And when you do
We'll get you help for that alcohol problem I know you have
And then you'll be fine
And we'll never have to talk about
What other reason you might have had
For letting go of a guy we asked you to take out

You had too many drinks
You've been drinking too much
And your hand was shaking
And you couldn't pull the trigger, Jack

It's okay

It happens to the best of us

It's a hard job

But I can't start thinking
That maybe it's gotten...difficult...for you
To put a bullet in somebody's head
Just because they start telling you
About their kids

So get on the plane
Come home
And we'll deal with your problem then

Don't stay in Frankfurt, Jack
All those broken lights

You don't want to stay somewhere like that

You don't want to live in a broken place
That can't be fixed

No comments:

Post a Comment