Thursday, October 4, 2012

Working with Napoleon

I work with a man
Who thinks he's Napoleon

And we work on that
We work on his belief
His, uh, beliefs
And try to sort of...

Water them down

Because, he's not just going to wake up one day
And decide he's not Napoleon
Anymore than somebody with cancer
Will wake up one day and just not have it

What you do is you work on it
You chip away at it
You water it down
And it's sort of like restoring a painting
We're hoping to bring it back
To bring him back
But what we don't want to damage
What was there originally
In this case, a someone's personality
Who they are, or were

And just like anything else
We make some progress
And then, occasionally
That progress is...forgotten
He slides back
We have to get back to...uh...where we were, and, uh...

I'm tired

I'm very, very tired
And I'm starting to get headaches
When, I never really got headaches before
And, and I'm not kidding about this, I, uh
Have actually been having dreams
Where Napoleon
The Real Napoleon
Comes to me
And tells me
That he really is that guy
That I'm treating
The reincarnation, or whatever
And that I should leave him alone
Because he's not, uh, well, crazy

So now I'm starting to wonder
If I'm crazy
If I'm the crazy one

And it brings attention to the fact
That more and more
In everyday life
I'm seeing people
Who are crazier
Than Napoleon

People who are just walking the streets
Owning houses, having kids
And, you know, we're sort of taught
In my profession
To determine--quickly, if possible
Whether or not someone is...

Uh...unstable, or whatever

But, like, if that were to be
An alarm in my head
Let's just say
That alarm would be going off
A lot more frequently than I'd like
So I just sort of...

...Turned it off

And zeroed in on Napoleon
On helping him
Whereas before
When I first took this job
I was--God, I wanted to help everyone
Save the world, whatever
And now, I just...

I sit with Napoleon
And he says 'I'm Napoleon'
And there's this part of me
This small part
That keeps growing bigger
That wants to say to him--

'Yes, yes you are Napoleon.
It's okay.
I believe you.
You're not crazy.
At least...

You're not any crazier than me.'

And I wonder, you know
I wonder...

If he's Napoleon

Then who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment