Monday, October 22, 2012

Cheek to Cheek

This is the last song we'll hear
Before leaving

A little dance around the room
Smile at the ambassador
Smile at the businessmen
Smile at all the pretty ladies
In all the pretty dresses

Fantastic party
And all going until morning
Until sunrise, probably

And by then we'll be on the ocean
Already starving
Already half-dead
Already wondering why we said 'Yes'

Because we have been suppressed
And no amount of luxury
Can take away the remembrance
Of what it is to be hungry

These people are not our friends
And tomorrow, when we give all this up
No matter how mad it seems
It'll be us embracing our true calling

You know, when Matt died
I thought we'd be broken forever
But then James showed up at the door one day
Holding a book
Filled with love
And I knew right then that my life would have two paths
Him and yours, my husband's
And all I wanted was for those two paths to meet
To converge, and intersect
And become one

And they have

So what else could I possibly want?

He told us to give it all to him
So he could do good with it
So he could do more with it
Than we could ever hope to do
And he will, my darling
He will be unstoppable
And with what?

Just a little money?
From us?
Our little savings?

Aren't we lucky?

Aren't we lucky that we're able to do so much good
Just by signing a few documents
And then disappearing into the night
On a boat, into the sea

I never thought I'd know the glory of death
Especially not after Matt was killed in the war
And death only meant more darkness, more nothingness

Now I look forward to it
And to helping James
And knowing that there isn't going to be any mystery

No surprises

When I die you'll be right there with me
Holding my hand
Cheek to cheek

One more dance, my love

One more dance
Until it's time
To see our baby again

Look at all of them
Looking at us
Because of how happy we are

If they only knew, my darling
If they only knew how easy
It's going to be

No comments:

Post a Comment