Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Nice Hotels

I never really got over
How much I like staying
In nice hotels

Childhood's all kind of a blur
But I distinctly remember
Always spending the night
In a nice hotel
Whenever we'd move
To a new town

It was sort of like the present we got
For uprooting ourselves
Without a lot of fuss

What nobody realized, my parents I mean
When I say 'nobody' I mean them
What they didn't realize was that
We just saw how pointless it was
Me and my brothers
We just didn't see the point in fighting after awhile

Nowadays when people get to know me
They say I'm apathetic

That's just my way of not fighting
I just don't fight anything anymore
It's just not...in me, I guess
It's been drained out
Like blood from a body

But I do still like a nice hotel

There's one like this one in Chicago
And if you go there
And you sit at the bar
And just sort of hang around
Looking friendly
Eventually somebody will come up to you
And start a conversation
Maybe give you their number
And by that I mean their room number
And you wait ten minutes
Because people in hotels are suspicious of everything
Of people watching
Even though nobody gives a shit
But still, you wait, out of respect
To calm them down
You go to the store in the lobby
Buy some gum, maybe a magazine for later
And then you go up to see them
But before you start, you say--

'Only thing is--I have to spend the night'

And by that point, you're there
You're cute
They're all riled up
So they say 'Sure'
And you're good to go

You get a nice place to stay
And you're safe
You're set

Until the next day at least
Until you have to move again

But you can't think about that

You can only think about that night
And what you have to do
To earn it

To earn those sheets
And those pillows
And that fresh smell

You gotta earn every night, you know?

Every single night

No comments:

Post a Comment