Thursday, October 11, 2012

Create Another Fable

You're going to have to create another fable, Andre
Because nobody believes the one you're telling anymore

The cautionary tale about us
It just...didn't age well

Either that or people got so bored hearing it
They decided it'd be more interesting
To start calling it a lie

Geez, I don't know
Who knows, right?
Who knows why people think
What they think?

I just know that even I don't believe you anymore
And I know what you're talking about is true
Because I was there
I lived it
I saw it
I did it

So you don't need to convince me
But you also aren't going to find any sympathy here

Because you took an experience
A relationship, an entire--fuck, what felt like a, like a, a...lifetime
A real, honest-to-God fucking lifetime
And you turned it against me
You turned a mistake
One mistake
Against me
And made it public

Made it this cautionary tale
For anybody who would be dumb enough
To come near me

It wasn't good enough that I lost you
You wanted me to lose everything
And maybe you had a right
Maybe you had a right to be angry
But who gave you the right to be...

To destroy a life?
An entire life?

To the point where
Years later
I'm still paying for a mistake
I barely remember making?

Well, time has now done me the favor
I couldn't do myself
And you couldn't do either
That you refused to

Time has forgiven me, Andre

See, it's out of your hands now
Like it or not
So you can keep telling that story
To whomever wants to hear it
But it doesn't seem like there's anybody left who hasn't
And nobody likes hanging out with the repetitive guy
Who doesn't know he's boring the shit out of everybody

So why don't you make the choice
To just tell another story, okay?

Create another fable

Why not make it one about forgiveness?
Or better yet, make it one about redemption

I could help you with that one

Believe me

I could write the damn thing myself

No comments:

Post a Comment