Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ricky and Room Service

I mean, if I'm not going to have a conversation with you
Who can I have a conversation with?

I mean, you bring me bacon and eggs
At three o'clock in the morning
And so what?
You don't wonder
Who wants bacon and eggs
At three am in Chicago?

I mean, aren't you curious?

I picked this hotel
Specifically because, I mean, you know
It's a nice hotel
BUT--what told me it was a nice hotel
Was that it had twenty-four hour room service
Like good twenty-four hour room service
Like, I could get creme brulee right now
And I personally find that astonishing
That there is somebody, right now
At my beck and call
Who, in the middle of the night
Has to feed me
Whatever I want

That's astonishing, don't you think?

Who am I supposed to talk to?
I'm not here to see friends
I'm not visiting family
I'm just here because...I'm here

Because I had some money
And I felt like going somewhere quiet
But, you know, with the possibility of...
Activity

Adventure
Opportunity
Theater and art and whatever
If I wanted it

New York, too much
London, too long a flight
Chicago?  That seemed right

But now I'm here
And I'm eating bacon
And a bag full of money--don't ask
And I...feel like, that, you know, without someone here...with me
It just feels really...

Incomplete

So I could go to bed
And work it all out in the morning
Or you could stay here with me
And we could share this delicious late-night breakfast
And just, kind of, talk?

I don't want you to lose your job or anything
But the fact is--you're really cute
And when you opened the door
I couldn't help but think--Okay, this is a sign
This is a sign that I'm not meant to be by myself right now

I mean, I had to believe that, right?

I had to believe that if there's a chance
That I'm not meant to be alone
Then...

Then it's a real chance
A chance I have to take

So, thanks for the room service
I'm Ricky

And you?

Who are you?

Let's talk, okay?

...Please?

I'm not hungry anymore, okay, but...

I still need somebody to talk to

That's something I can't, you know, order

Not even at a nice hotel

Not unless, maybe
You feel a little lonely too

No comments:

Post a Comment