Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I Don't Have Three Years

Look, I appreciate that you are a guarded person
I love guarded people
Somehow I always wind up marrying them
So things are looking good for you
Trust me, very good
Because I'm good
I'm good for people
I'm terrible for myself
But for others, I'm a win
A full-on win--trust me

But here's the thing--

I don't have three years

See, I know your timeline
I know the general chronological span
What it takes to break someone like you down
And I know, just by looking at you
That what I'm really looking at
Is three years--at least
Before I get to the core of who you are

And I don't have it
I don't have three years

I want to have kids
I want to have more than three kids
Less than five--maybe
But more than three
I invested in college
Some whatever stocks
And I did well
So I can afford kids
Not that I need to justify myself to you
But there it is

I want kids
And I want them soon
And I'd like to have at least two of them myself
And that means I have to get moving
And unfortunately, as I've mentioned
I tend to pick the guys
That want to keep me waiting

And I can respect everyone's, you know
Personal boundaries and limitations

But the thing is
Time's running out
And we both know
That even the deepest guys
Have a shortcut button
That they can push when they need to
In cases of emergency
Like when they want to get in the pants
Of some dumb girl at the bar

Well, guess what
Tonight--I'm the dumb girl
So take down the walls

Just long enough for me to see that it's worth
Investing you
And then we can take it from there

Okay?

I'll put in the three years
But first show me what I'm putting in for
Give me a glimpse
Because if at the end of this
I find out
That I was barking up the wrong tree
Then I'm not just out of luck

I'm out of time

No comments:

Post a Comment