Tuesday, October 16, 2012

This Time It Better Work

Harry booked a sitcom yesterday
Something about a nursing home
They're using a lot of older actors
They're saying it's going to be the next Golden Girls
Harry's a male nurse in it
And it's, you know, a lot of--
The old ladies cracking jokes
About how handsome he is
That kinda thing
Nothing they really needed a genius actor for

You know, you can't take stuff like that personally
It's all a crapshoot
Harry was in the right place at the right time
It could have been you
If you hadn't had the doctor's appointment

You had to go
You had walking pneumonia
It was just a fluke thing
You'll get the next one

I'm not trying to talk you out of going
I'm trying to get you to hang onto this dream you've had your whole life
For a little while longer
Instead of just throwing it all out
Like...

Like I haven't been doing it with you

I know I can teach anywhere
But it's still a lot
All this moving around
Starting over

It's just a lot

And I don't see why things are going to be better in Atlanta
Your mother's already asked me three times
How long we plan on staying with her
And your brother hasn't even called us back

Plus we don't have a car
And I liked your old car
And that watch your father gave you
If you gave me a month
I could have gone back to the restaurant
And made enough money
To get us the train tickets
You didn't have to go pawning stuff off
The guy looked at us
Like we were a couple of drug addicts

Same way they did in Chicago
Same way they did in New York
And now...

You know, I'm just going to say this
Because I have to say this
But I feel like I really have to say this

This time it better work
The move, the clean slate
The starting over

It has to work this time
Because I'm sick of sitting on train platforms at ten to midnight
Trying to figure out
How I'm going to build myself up again
Somewhere I've never been before
Somewhere without friends
With no connections

You're good at that
I'm not
It's probably because you go out of your way
To make sure you don't relate to anybody
Until you're sure you're sticking around
And the thing is
You're never sure
I'm never sure

I'm not even sure of you

I'm not even sure that one day you won't just take off without me

I'm just not sure

So this is it

As far as moves go
You better be planning on making it work in Georgia
Because, honestly, if it doesn't
I'm getting on my own train
And you're not coming with me

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Good

Well...

I guess it's all aboard

Georgia...or nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment